Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Neighborhood Improvement

One of the earliest posts on this blog was about a car card promoting neighborhood improvement.  Sixteen years later I still don't know what the ACTION council was, but I decided it was time to get to work renewing my neighborhood.  Here we have the west wall of the Jewell Road shelter as it was:


And after some work, with the old siding partly removed:


And then completely removed.  I decided the lowest board didn't need to be replaced.  That would have been a real pain.  Also, the window frame obviously needs to be replaced, but I already have all the measurements for new parts, and that will happen soon.


By the way, when I needed to cut a board at an unusual angle, Tim helped me set up the cutoff saw so it could be done quickly and safely.  Thanks!!  None of this amateur handsaw stuff!

But that took a while, so it's time for lunch.  Over in Barn 4, Jim was installing panels, and Gerry was working on the mechanisms for the doors on the 306.



Buzz showed us a picture of the south side of the 1808 from yesterday.  Here Tim is going along with his nail gun, rapidly residing the north side.


But in old shanty town, we don't have power available, so it's all done with hammer and nails.  Back when I was about five years old, my father built a garage using the same general method. 




Much nicer than it was before.  I will want to replace the next two boards above the window, as well as the window frame, so I'll need some more wood.


But renewing your neighborhood always takes time.


Finally, I saw that the Champaign Zephyr was being prepared for the IT Meet on Saturday.
Just another fabulous perk of being a member of the Society.


By the way...

It's time for another word from our sponsor.  Our heroic Building and Grounds Department is constantly working to keep IRM the biggest and best non-governmental museum around.  And even if you're not too impressed with Jewell Road, there are lots of other neighborhood improvements being made all the time.  So contributions earmarked for B&G are always appreciated!

No comments: