Monday, August 5, 2024

Dave's Depots: Lake Shore Electric Railway, Ceylon Junction, Ohio

 David Wilkins writes......

2024 marks the 50th wedding anniversary of my inlaws. While they live in Missouri, they are both from northern Ohio. They decided to celebrate their anniversary in Ohio so the extended family, most of who still live in the region, could attend. My father-in-law rented a nice old farm house for the family to reside in for the week near Huron. We flew into Detroit, as it is a direct from Salt Lake City, and visited some of my wife's relatives in Tiffin and Freemont before heading to the home. On the drive to Huron from Tiffin I remarked to my wife that you could see a lot of interurban remnants in the area if you knew where to look. At the time I had no idea how prophetic my statement was, and you can imagine my surprise when we pulled into the driveway and I saw this:

Yes, that's the Lake Shore Electric depot for Ceylon Juntion, still in its original location. Ceylon Junction was the junction where westbound trains continued to either Huron and Sandusky on to Toledo, or turned south and headed to Norwalk, Bellevue, Freemont, and Toledo. 

The station building is in good shape and is now a vacation rental, with two beds in a loft in the upper portion of the station and great views of Lake Erie. There are three vacation homes on the property, the station, a modern small lake house just to the west of. it, and the historic Otto Family farm house, where the McMullin family stayed

The right of way to south is now used by the driveway, as the lake road was moved in the 1970s from behind the depot about 200 yards south due to erosion of the bank. 

In other news, I am still alive and still in Utah. August marks our 11th year here. Frank who I speak with regularly has encouraged me to share some photos from my travels and activities, which I will try to add more frequently. 

No comments: