Friday, August 23, 2024

Thursday Activities

I worked on a few different projects on Thursday, but all CA&E -- as you might have guessed.

First was reattaching the molding strip in the smoker of the 308 that had fallen out earlier.  I acquired some more wallboard anchors and installed them, so all of the screws in the molding have something to hold onto.  It seems nice and sturdy now.  It needs the paint touched up, so I need to find out whether the 308 ceiling paint is supposed to be the same as the 309's.



Then I took some measurements of the broken leaf spring assembly on the 36, and walked around the material yard.  We've got lots of spare trucks, and some with leaf springs, but none were the same type.  But several others are surrounded with trees and bushes, so they probably won't be accessible until spring.  And the trucks on the 36 are the oldest CA&E type in existence, so finding replacement springs may not be easy.  Go to this post and look at the third picture down.


Next, I was able to get a couple more seat frames detached from the walls in the 451, but it took a lot of effort.  And I still can't get the screws loose that hold the backs into the tubular frames.  Very frustrating -- maybe they need to be drilled out.


And I checked on the Jewell Road shelter, and picked up bolts for eventually attaching the new sign I made to the building.

Of course, other people were at work.  Here we see Tim painting clerestory frames for the 1808, as John looks on.



4 comments:

sd45elect2000 said...

The rule is not to mix old and new springs. If you can find some used ones you can change only the bad ones. If you choose to go with new springs to should change the whole truck

Randy Stahl

sd45elect2000 said...

You could try Dendoff spring.

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks, Randy, that certainly seems like good advice. But I'm afraid I don't know what "Dendoff spring" means.

Randall Hicks said...

OK, I figured that out, obviously. I'll get in touch with them.