Thursday, August 8, 2024

Wednesday Work

As usual, there were several Car Dept. projects being worked on, but I didn't take any pictures in Barn 4.  They were all things we've already seen: the 1808, 306, Kansas City PCC, and the diner.  Over in Barn 8, I noticed that Fritz was working on the North Shore MD car 213, and was able to help him attach the kick plates to the new sliding door.  He couldn't be on both sides of the door at once.




And here's a view of the east end of the car from inside.  This is much different than the cramped enclosed cabs on the later MD design. 


I spent most of my time working on the CA&E seat project.  Getting the old cushions out of the stationary seat frames is a lot of work.  And getting a new cushion into the frame is even more difficult.  There are problems we haven't solved yet.  I would have to say that in comparison to the old wooden cars, these weren't designed for ease of maintenance.  Just an opinion.

In any case, progress is being made, and once again we want to thank everyone who contributed to the seat project!

1 comment:

Scott Greig said...

I wouldn't call the cabs on North Shore's center-door MD cars "cramped"...though I do think doorways to access the cargo area (and change poles without going outside the car) would have been a great help.

If anything, I would call the cab design on the 213 "unprotected"...I don't recall that there was any provision to shield the motorman from shifting cargo.