Saturday, February 16, 2008

Painting the Floor in the 309

I started by dropping off one of the original scenery pictures from the the 309 for Julie Johnson to photograph and reproduce. I'll have some more about this project shortly. Thanks, Julie!

While the car was being warmed up, I installed the last couple of quarter-round moldings on the #2 train door, and later painted them with primer. When it warms up I'll touch up all of the blue in the vestibule. I believe this door was rebuilt at North Chicago, but it was never quite finished - until now. Hey, we'll get around to it eventually!

I then put second primer on all of the new linoleum in the main compartment. I also put a new coat of varnish on the wainscoting (the side wall panels below the window sill) in the smoker. The smoker was also swept and cleaned up, and the whole floor there got second primer. Every surface in the smoker has now been repainted or revarnished. The entire interior floor has two coats of primer, and I'll be ready to start on the first finish brown. Then I finished by putting first primer on the floor of the #1 vestibule.

Max connected the new DC power switch in Barn 8 today, and he also confiscated the hot stick. This is a great improvement; it's much easier to turn the power on and off. In the winter, it's often been a real struggle just to get a door open to be able to reach the switch on the pole. Thanks, Max!

No comments: