Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Visitor from Orange Empire

We had a visitor from the Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, California, over the weekend. His name is Harry Pedersen, and he's the project manager for an LA Peter Witt there. So while he was visiting on Monday, he volunteered to do some painting. Here he is touching up a few places in the vestibule of the 309. Thanks! And I should add that Orange Empire is a very good place to visit if you're in the LA area.

Meanwhile, I kept going on painting the interior. I have nearly finished repainting the entire ceiling in the main compartment, and also installed some more trim pieces, and did some staining. I also installed two replacement panes of glass in the clerestory. I bought a large number of them about twenty years ago, but I seem to have run out. So I made a couple of patterns to buy enough to finish the job.
From left to right: new, old, new, new, old. Every pane of old glass is cracked, and it has tar on the outside. The cracked glass holds itself together somehow, but it's impossible to strip the tar from it. So it has to be replaced.

No comments: