Friday, December 11, 2009

Little Toot Railroad

We don't usually deal with live steam or model trains, but a couple of weeks ago I had some free time while visiting in-laws, so I drove down to Flora to see the Little Toot Railroad, 15" gauge, which is located in a large park on the edge of town. It's a pretty impressive operation, and entirely operated by volunteers such as Norm Morgan, who graciously showed me around and told me the history of the trains.




The right-of-way includes three trestles, of which this is the largest.


The engine house, car barn, and turntable.





The dispatcher's tower.


This water tower is functional.









Right now, all three steam locomotives are under repair, but at least one will be running next year. One of them, I can't say which, was the first production model built by Crown, which I guess was a well-known builder of these things.

So holiday service is being run with a "Diesel."


And here it is: an IC streamliner.

And a couple of coaches
and a waycar.
All aboard!








Out back, some bodies await their turn for restoration. Just like a real museum! They're also planning to expand the layout considerably, and track materials are being stored here. Notice the diamonds in the foreground.




More in line with our usual fare is this wooden waycar on display near the station. And the depot in downtown Flora is quite impressive. It was located at a diamond which is no longer there, but the old B&O main line is still quite busy under CSX.

5 comments:

David Wilkins said...

Was Flora where the B&O crossed the B&O? I checked the "Index of Railroad Stations" from my May 1952 issue of The Offical Guide, and only the B&O is listed in Flora.

Randall Hicks said...

Well, I really don't know. It seemed obvious to me that there had been a diamond there, but beyond that I couldn't say. Help!

Anonymous said...

My 1948 Railroad Atlas shows a B&O line from Beardstown thru Springfield, Pana and Flora on the way to Junction? on the IC near Harrisburg, IL. It crosses the E-W B&O line to St. Louis at Flora. Bill Wulfert

David Wilkins said...

Bill,

Thanks for the information. Those 1948 rail atlases are a very handy research and reference tool.

The old offical guides are not holding up well to use, and the maps in them are not that detailed. I'm glad we have another good reference.

Auto Professionals said...

Looks like a wonderful place for the children, thank you.