Monday, April 5, 2010

319 Report

With a day off, it was possible to get several things done. I started by shimming up another side bearing. This required borrowing a track jack from our buddies in the Track Dept. (which I later returned, of course) since the car was not sitting quite level. It takes longer than you might think, but 3 out of the 4 are now up to spec, and with the only level I could find the alignment is much closer to being correct. And while I had the jack and large wrenches, I levelled and tightened the one remaining third rail beam that we hadn't been able to finish earlier.

I put a first coat of finish color on four more windows. These were painted in the machine shop because Jeff was working on his door in the wood shop (see below). And I hiked out to 14 to check on the 321's tarp -- all is well.



Then I started disassembling one of the trolley bases, so the bearings can be checked and repacked. Jeff helped with expert advice. Unfortunately, one of the big set screws could not be loosened, so it still isn't completely disassembled. I can only hope the Sili-Kroil does its magic while we sleep.

My old friend Jeff Brady was out, and worked all day on completing a new baggage door for the Michigan Electric 28.




You unlock this door with the key of imagination.
Behind it lies another dimension....

No comments: