Friday, April 23, 2010

Neuhaus Photos

Bill Wulfert sent us a small collection of (mostly CA&E) photos from the Ray Neuhaus collection. These were scanned in several years ago by the late Pete Vesic. I've expanded them by a factor of two for better viewing.


The 309 in front of the shop.

These all seem to be taken near the end of service.







The 321 on the ready tracks north of the shop.









The two 4000 locomotives ("boomers") pass a fan trip. I'll guess this is near Wayne.

Frank points out that those "END OF BLOCK" signs would useful at each end of our manual blocks. I might actually remember to release one some time.




The Illini fan trip with 318/300 at Batavia.









Car 11 in front of the tin shed.









And finally, I saved the best for last. An aerial view of IRM circa 1965. Yes, friends, that's all there was: a string of cars on what is now the main line west of Olson.

4 comments:

Steve Iversen said...

Randy,
Why do you call the locomotives B-W? Those are the ex- Union Electric engines.

Randall Hicks said...

Sorry. That's what happens when you do things in a hurry. People can get hurt.

Bob Kutella said...

I have an original such END OF BLOCK sign within my view as I type this. It was 'rescued' after the scrappers left and was found in between Bellwood and Garden Home (Berkley). I have made and hand painted at least one replica for use at IRM, so I wonder where it is? As to the IRM view I notice the doors on the 415 are open and I seem to remember a light plane overhead when I was working on the controller cover, before we had any operation of the cars. I think it was just me and Bob Bruneau in mid week.

Randall Hicks said...

Bob: That's interesting. I had noticed this must be before operation started, since the 415 had to be switched to the head of the line. And I hadn't realized those warehouses north of the tracks weren't there yet.