Friday, June 4, 2010

319 Is Painted

Contractor Ray Followell and his helper Cody finished painting the 319 today! It really looks nice! The fresh paint is very shiny, almost like glass, and I was afraid to touch it. I'll just have to get over it, though.


Here they are working this morning on the north side of the car in the fog. They have professional masks to wear but I don't, so I didn't stay there very long.



Meanwhile, I worked on windows in the car shop. I sanded down two more, as seen here. The car department's big pad sander works well. Personal safety equipment is important: dusk mask, safety glasses, and ear muffs.



And I put primer on two windows started last time.

I also checked on leaks over IT cars and plugged up another leak in the barn roof.


After the painting was done, the car looks like this on the south side.






I then spent some time removing the masking tape and paper, and the car looks like this. Don't trust the colors you see here, of course.

We didn't have the right people available today to start the switch move, so it will probably be tomorrow morning. The 409 will replace the 319, and it should be the next car painted. Frank Sirinek and Mike Stauber finished tacking down the canvas on the 451, so it's making progress too.

4 comments:

Zach said...

OOOOOOOO. AAHHHHHHHHHHHH. Glossy. They did a nice job.

Unknown said...

Did they spray or brush the paint on? How did the CA & E do it?

Frank Hicks said...

The 319 was spray painted, which was how the CA&E painted cars in the 1950's. I'm not sure about how they painted cars earlier on, but extensive evidence of over-spray in multiple places on the surviving cars makes it clear that by the 1950's the cars were sprayed.

Alexander said...

Nice pictures, they did a great job