Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dave's Depots - Chicago & Alton - Shirley/Funks Grove, IL

David Writes......




This edition of Dave's Depots takes us to Funks Grove, IL, along the Chicago-St. Louis mainline of the former Chicago & Alton Railroad.  In Funks Grove, which was once along Route 66, we find this neat little depot.  It sits about 150' from the tracks.  Further research has revealed that this depot was moved from Shirley, IL, just up the road.  The less ornate Funks Grove depot was moved to Funks Grove Pure Maple Syrup, which is located nearby.  The depot is in nice shape, and is apparently used for storage.  

Fun fact: Two of my great uncles on the Wilkins side of my family moved to Shirley, IL from Kentucky during the Great Depression.  In fact, I have numerous cousins that live in this area.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some additional photos of this station if you would like them... as I spend quite a bit of time along this line now...

Tom Hunter

Randall Hicks said...

Sure, Tom, your contributions are always welcome!

David Wilkins said...

Tom,

Yes, I'd love to see what photos you have up an down the old C&A mainline.

I think you can e-mail them to me through my profile here, if not it is david (dot) wilkins at charter (dot) net