Saturday, January 1, 2022

2001 IRM Journal

 


2001



  1. Sunday, January 7 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I brought out some new machine screws and properly attached the roof cable to the #1 end trolley base. I also fixed the way the rope was attached to the pole, so everything now works fine. After replacing a bulb in the smoker, all of the ceiling lights in the car work again. The tension on the base seems to be too much, but the adjusting screw is all the way out – loose, in fact. Not sure what can be done about it.

      2. I stripped the belt rail and molding in sectors 10 to 8.

    2. Misc.:

      1. We looked at various projects in progress.


  1. Saturday, January 20 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I brought out the new resistor-stinger and started using it. With only three circuits in the car working, the voltage drop is not very great, however.

      2. Frank helped me reassemble the controller at the #1 end correctly. However, the throttle plunger is very sluggish and it’s hard to press the button down.

      3. I checked the control circuits with the megger and a light box. Since everything seemed to be OK, we then tried running the control system on 600V. Seems to work fine. I was surprised to note, however, that the contactors are in a different order from either the 309 or 321. Sequence:



1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13


P1

S1

T1

T2

P2

P3

R1

R2

R3

R4

R5

R6

S2

1














2














3














4














5














6














7














8














9














10
















      1. I also meggered both motors. #4 read about 3M, #3 between 4 and 5. They both look good! I also meggered the fields and brush holders, all of which were very high. For some reason, both motors had one brush in each brush holder. As a result, the commutator was clean only on the outside half.

      2. I sanded down most of the surfaces on the belt rail and molding, sectors 8-14, I had previously stripped; I also burned off paint on sector 7. Only two more to go. I also finished stripping paint around the side door at the #1R corner.

      3. We removed the last two folding steps at the #1 corner, as well as the flag bracket #1R and the fixed step on the end, and Frank needle chipped and sandblasted them all in preparation for painting. The other flag bracket has two screws still frozen. These brackets need to be relocated, of course.

      4. I modified the trolley hook Bruneau had given me by cutting and drilling a new hole.

      5. Bob Heinlein has been rebuilding feed valves for the wooden El cars. He offered to do two of them for us. He looked at the ones in the 321 and identified them as model C8.




  1. Saturday, February 3 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I finished stripping the belt rail and molding in sectors 5-6, thus finishing this side. I sanded down all sections that had not already been done. I should note that the belt rail in sectors 6-7 is an IMOTAC replacement; for now it will good enough.

      2. I did some sanding on the #1 end around the end window and the door posts.

      3. I removed the pipe for the control line alongside the #2 end coupler, since it was broken off at the end. I took it to the shop, made a clean cut, and rethreaded it. Cannot find a ¾” 45 degree elbow, so I will have to buy one. Also need an angle cock for the 1” pipe for the brake line.

      4. I installedthe refinished end window in the smoker. Windows 13 and 14 were taken home for refinishing, and 321 extras put in their place.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Frank helped with moving some El cars by shoveling and breaking ice. The cars needed to be moved since they are to be loaded for shipment to the CTA for a movie.


  1. Sunday, March 11

    1. 308:

      1. I reinstalled the pipe for the control line alongside the #2 end coupler, then attached a new 45 degree elbow, nipple, and angle cock. Also I removed the elbow for the 1” train pipe, since it was plugged with threads.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Mostly I removed parts from the Cretney barn. Doors and windows were put into the container.


  1. Saturday, April 7 (with Frank)

    1. 308, 309, 321:

      1. We wyed all three cars, in order to put the good side of the 321 towards the aisle and to put the 308 in the position we’ll need for the calendar picture. In the process, the 308 was moved to the other end of the 309/321, so we are no longer using the bent coupler. It was very windy, and the bottom half of the Masonite train door on the 308 broke off. Otherwise no real problems.

    2. 321:

      1. Cleaning and straightening.

    3. Misc.:

      1. We both attended the Annual Safety Meeting.


  1. Thursday, April 12 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I put Bondo on all the places identified by Frank on the south (“R”) side of the car below the belt rail; also on some parts of the #1 end and some of the window sill.

      2. I measured the hole for the toilet ventilator; 6” diameter.


  1. Wednesday, April 18 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I finished Bondo on the south side of the car below the belt rail, and the end. I painted them all with primer, and also put primer on the window sill and molding strip in sectors 10½ and 10.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Viewed Frank’s progress on the Kansas City car.


  1. Thursday, April 19 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I painted a first coat of blue below the window sill, roughly sectors 10½ to 12.


  1. Wednesday, April 25 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I .


  1. Saturday, April 28 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. We used the Com Ed 4 to pull the 308 over to track 41, behind the Rock Island auto car, so Frank could do some more needle chipping.

      2. Bondo on belt rail, sectors 5-14, and miscellaneous places on the sides. All of these were then painted with primer.

      3. I removed the old electrical tape which was wound around the truss rod in front of the motor fuse box, at about sector 7. For some reason, there was quite a bit of rust underneath; this didn’t happen on the other cars. We brushed it all off, then Frank painted this short section with primer.

      4. I located the brake hoses for the #2 end, as well as a new 1” 45 degree elbow, and reinstalled the hoses.


  1. Saturday, May 12 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. We used the Com Ed 4 to pull the 308 out of the barn.

      2. Frank worked on removing windows from sectors 14-8, so painting could be done in these areas.

      3. I put a first coat of grey on all of the woodwork from sector 14 to 7 on this side (except some of the narrow window posts, which still need to be stripped.

      4. First blue on the rest of the siding below the belt rail in sectors 1 and 2, and then first blue above the windows in sectors 5-1, including the letterboard.

      5. First blue below the windows in sectors 15-18.

      6. Frank also touched up the black on the bottom of the letterboard in sectors 6-14.

      7. He sprayed the truss rod with black, although the rod hasn’t been stripped. Looks better, at least.

    2. Misc.:

      1. We met Bruce Moffat and discussed CA&E colors.

      2. We used the 4 to switch the cars so the 309 is now at the door. From east to west: 309, 308, and 321. All #1 ends are to the west.

      3. Frank worked on the KC PCC.

      4. We attended the board meeting.


  1. Sunday, May 13

    1. 309:

      1. I worked on removing a motor from the other 318 truck, which is over near the new bus barn. I finally got both axle caps off. I managed to remove both cotter pins from the bolts which hold the motor tongue, but the nuts themselves are frozen. Bruce said he would take the torch over there to loosen them up.

    2. 308:

      1. I decided to try running the compressor, shorted or not. It actually works OK. I put plugs or caps on the pipes that lead to the missing brake stand at the #2 end, but there’s still a leak somewhere under the car. I didn’t have time to investigate further.


  1. Monday, May 14 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Frank has painted the word “CHICAGO” on the L side.

      2. I finished stripping the #1L side door, and sanded it down. Ready for primer.

      3. Worked a little more on the train door.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Frank did some more striping on the KC PCC.


  1. Wednesday, May 23 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I finished stripping the narrow window posts at sectors 13-14, 11-12, and 7-8.


  1. Thursday, May 24

    1. 308:

      1. I put a first coat of blue on the side door, #1R.

      2. First blue on the letterboard and upper siding in sectors 15-18½.


  1. Sunday, May 27 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I sanded down the first coat of blue on siding both above and below the windows in sectors 1-5 or so.

      2. I then painted all of these areas with a second coat of blue, thus completing this side except for the side door frames.

      3. First blue on the rest of the letterboard and the siding above the windows on the 15-28 side.

      4. Frank painted the number “308” in three places: #1 end, sector 13, and the Masonite panel at the #2 end.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Frank worked on the KC PCC. He finished the plywood roll sign.

      2. I punched two holes in the new metal display sign for the 308 and attached some nylon rope supplied by Bruneau. Looks good.


  1. Monday, May 28 (with Frank)

    1. 415:

      1. We operated the car most of the day; Frank ran 15 trips around the car line and I ran 2. The 309 could not be operated due to station track reconstruction. No problems (with the 415, at least; the Zephyr broke down on the east end.)

    2. Misc.:

      1. Bill Wulfert installed Frank’s roll sign – looks great.


  1. Saturday, June 9

    1. 308:

      1. I put a first coat of Fleet Grey on all of the wide window posts on the 15-28 side (except the door post at #1L, which still needs primer. This included painting over the metal tracks, which cannot be removed and therefore have not been stripped. Should look OK.

      2. First blue on the rest of the siding below the belt rail on this side, sectors 18½ to 28.

      3. I attached Kevin McCabe’s metal sign to what’s left of the post at the #2L corner, using one carriage bolt through a hole which was already there. Sign can’t be moved back and forth so I don’t need any pieces of carpet or anything. In this position it helps disguise how much of the end is missing.

      4. Sanded down the narrow window posts at sectors 13-14, 11-12, and 7-8; then primer. I also installed the dash light casting which Frank had stripped at the #1 end and painted it with primer.

      5. Coupled the 309 up to the 308 and attached the bus jumper so both cars can be lit using the resistor- stinger. It was obvious the bus jumper on the 308 hadn’t been used since 1957. With a total of ten circuits the voltage drop is more noticeable; also, the element gets quite hot.


  1. Monday, June 11

    1. 308:

      1. I laid out the words AND and ELGIN in pencil, in preparation for lettering. Need to get a new can of One-Shot yellow.

      2. First grey on the window posts at 1, 2-3, 4-5, 7-8, 11-12, and 13-14. This essentially completes the painting (one coat at least, plus all lettering) for sectors 6 to 14.


  1. Wednesday, June 13

    1. 308:

      1. I painted some red at the #1 end, #1R corner.

      2. Made some marks on the sidewalk: where to shut off when the pole crosses the breaker.

      3. Tested the air system again, and got the brakes working for the first time in at least 25 years, I think! It turned out the “leak” under the car (see May 13) was an open drain cock I hadn’t noticed before. I connected the hoses to the 309 and tried the train brakes; seems fine. 308’s triple valve reacts quickly to small reductions.


  1. Monday, June 18

    1. 308:

      1. I sanded down and put a coat of primer on the train door at the #1 end.

      2. Did the letters “AND EL” on the letterboard.

      3. I took home the window for sector 14 (aka #28) which had been stripped by IMOTAC for repainting.


  1. Wednesday, June 20 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I finally removed the flag bracket at the #2L corner; I needed to drill out two screws. The wood block behind it was removed in one piece, more or less.

      2. I made measurements for replacement wood parts for this end.

      3. I put Bondo over the holes where the flag bracket was, and on the window sill on this side. Sanded down.

      4. Put primer on various locations on the #1 end, after touch sanding. This includes the new Bondo.

      5. Frank needle-chipped and then wire-wheeled the headlight bracket for the #1 end; this and the other already stripped parts were taken home for painting.


  1. Saturday, June 23 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I pulled the 308 east a couple of feet to make it easier to work on the #1 end.

      2. Did some more rearranging of windows.

      3. Because the drop sash in the #1R door was partially collapsing, I removed the metal plate from the inside and attached a stick to hold the bottom rail up. The sash no longer drops, of course, but it looks much better from the outside.

      4. Frank sanded down the outside of the #1R door and put on a second coat of blue. He also did a first coat of blue over the door.

      5. I finished lettering the letterboard on the 1-14 side.

    2. 6125(!):

      1. I reattached the metal plate which was bent out with a nut and bolt, so it no longer sticks into the aisle and endangers the visitors.

    3. Misc.:

      1. We attended the dedication of the 3142. Frank held one end of the banner as the 3142 broke through it.


  1. Wednesday, June 27 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I put a first coat of red on just about everything on the #1 end that wasn’t already painted.

      2. Installed the folding signs at the #1 end, with the repro latch from the 321.


  1. Wednesday, July 4 (with Frank and Maggie)

    1. 308:

      1. Demonstrated the operation of the brake system for Frank. For some reason, a reduction on the 308 set the brakes on the 308 but not the 309. However, I had to break the train, so no further investigation was possible.

      2. Also, the wire fuse on the resistor stinger burned out. Needs to be replaced.

    2. 309:

      1. Before the trolley pageant, we had the car open for visitors.

      2. Operated for the pageant; one trip around the car line. No problems. Recoupled to the 308.


---- FIRST OPERATION OF THE 308 ----

  1. Saturday, July 7

    1. 308:

      1. I changed the insert on the trolley pole at the #1 end.

      2. I then pulled the 308 outside to work on the roof more. I inserted enough screws to hold down the trolley boards so the hook could be bolted on, then bolted on the base and the hook at the #2 end. I put a new insert in the pole and put the pole in the base. Not connected yet because the extension from the roof cable won’t reach. Also no rope because I would need a temporary mounting for the retriever, but it certainly makes the car look better.

      3. I made up the train again and tested the brakes. There was a cutout cock under the 308 which had to opened, which is why the train brakes didn’t work on the 4th. (Can’t explain why I thought they were working on June 13th; I must have been deceiving myself). I also put in the control jumper and tested the train operation of the contactors – all OK.

      4. Dear diary: Don’t tell anyone, but I put brushes in the traction motors and connected the motor leads. I then pulled the cars outside again and tried the 308’s motors. Everything worked OK, I ran the cars back and forth a little, and later put them away. (Mostly with both cars motoring)

      5. A bulb in the smoker ceiling fixture must be burned out.

      6. I wire-wheeled the rest of the side sill (roughly sectors 1-5) and then painted it with primer.


  1. Sunday, July 8 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I pulled the 308 outside again for painting, this time. I installed the headlight bracket and sanded down all the red parts on the #1 end, then put another coat of red on the end.

      2. I also finished the red stripe over the windows in sectors 1-5.

      3. I sanded down the #1L train door and painted it blue. I also put blue on the parts of the #1 end that had primer (from patching in new wood).

      4. I painted the rest of the side sill black.

      5. Once again, car operated just fine.

    2. Misc.:

      1. I went over to Barn 2 and checked through all the parts that we left there, again. I picked up five window frames and some miscellaneous stuff, but the rest of it I left for Bruneau.

      2. Frank worked in the Coach Department all day.


  1. Monday, July 9

    1. 308:

      1. I sorted out all of the remaining parts in the main section of the 308, and moved them into piles in the 321. I was then able to install all the seats.

      2. I started installing the buzzer cord hangers, and did the three in the main compartment.

    2. 321:

      1. Some cleaning and sorting in the main compartment.


  1. Wednesday, July 11

    1. 308:

      1. I finished installing the last buzzer cord hanger and strung the cord. The buzzer still doesn’t work, however.

      2. I tested bulbs and got the lights working in the smoker again.

      3. I sanded down and fitted the spacer block for the end step, then installed the step. Still needs to be painted.

      4. A little more sorting of parts and cleaning.


  1. Wednesday, July 18

    1. 308:

      1. I installed the flag brackets at the #1 end and painted them with primer. I also put primer on the spacer block for the end step installed last week.

      2. I installed a couple of pieces of cardboard to cover up rotted out parts at the #1R corner. First blue.

      3. I sanded a filler block to shape and put it in the gap over the end window. Primer.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Bruneau gave me a CA&E headlight he bought with Car Dept. funds. It is #44, still in CA&E red paint in fairly good condition. Stored in the 308.

      2. Also received proximity cards for Frank and me, since the automatic gate is now working.


  1. Friday, July 20

    1. 308:

      1. I installed the rebuilt window at #14. I also found enough blanks and spares to fill all the window slots on the 1-14 side. Spot primer on windows 5, 6, and 10; also the trim pieces around windows 5 and 6.

      2. I sanded down the Bondo on the window sill at sector 5; new primer on sectors 5 and 6, as well as the molding underneath the window sill.

      3. I installed the three folding steps at the #1 end.

      4. Went on the roof to get a sample machine screw for the cable attachment to the base. The holes are 1 1/8” apart. Need about 8” of cable to connect.

      5. Attached a spare trolley rope I had, plus monkey link, to the #2 end pole.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Fixed the resistor-stinger.


  1. Wednesday, July 25

    1. 308:

      1. I finished the items on the checklist: blue on various places on the end, red on the one remaining flag bracket and other spots, and grey in sectors 5 and 6.


  1. Saturday, July 28 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I cleaned windows for a while.

      2. I sanded down the Bondo on window sill sectors 1-4, and applied new coats of Bondo as needed. Painted with primer.

      3. Tried to remove the plate over the headlight resistor box. Two screws could not be removed.

      4. Reinstalled the panic cord hardware in the smoker, so the cord is now functional.

    2. Misc.:

      1. I helped Bob Heinlein and Pete Vesic switch out L cars in yard 8, so track 84 is no longer blocked.

      2. Frank worked for the Track Department most of the day.


  1. Sunday, July 29 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Window sills in sectors 1-4 were painted grey.

      2. Attached a clip and fixed up a second piece of cord for the buzzer cord.

      3. Car was pulled out onto the car line by the Army Diesel for picture taking; Andy Sunderland was the engineer.

    2. 309:

      1. Car was run out onto the tail track for picture taking. No problems.

    3. Misc.:

      1. Frank and I used Com Ed 4 to pull a caboose off the tail track.

      2. Frank installed some more signs, etc.


  1. Wednesday, August 1

    1. 321:

      1. I made a wooden bracket to hold the new metal sign on the #2 end of the car.

    2. Misc.:

      1. I took pictures of the LSE 150, the 308, and the new PRR box car.


  1. Wednesday, August 8

    1. 308:

      1. I modified one of the 309’s Masonite signs and mounted it on the 308’s #1 end.

    2. 309:

      1. I recoupled the 309 to the 308 and put the train back together. I picked up my clothes and straightened things up a little.

    3. Misc.:

      1. I gave Bruce his replacement wrench.

      2. Looked at the box car which had been damaged in transit.


  1. Satuday, August 11 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I started cutting out the metal plate using a grinding wheel on a circular saw. Did all of the right side of the plate, except of course the sharp curve on the outside. I removed the Masonite panel on that side first.

      2. Did some more cleaning and straightening; reinstalled some of the window shade tracks and removed torn window shades.

      3. Made some measurements for reinstalling the subfloor.

    2. Misc.:

      1. We finally moved the “Hicksco” scaffold from Barn 7 to Barn 8. Helped by Mark Rickert.

      2. Frank installed some more signs, etc. I helped with a sign for the UP turbine. We attended the Board meeting.


  1. Sunday, August 12

    1. 308:

      1. I did more cutting on the metal plate; finished the other side. Removed the other Masonite panel.

      2. Did some more cleaning and straightening; reinstalled a couple more window shade tracks.


  1. Wednesday, August 15

    1. 308:

      1. I finished cutting out the metal plate, using new blades in the sabre saw. Four of the five bolts holding it in place were removed, but the last is too rusty to remove by myself. Got a jack to support the coupler housing while the bolts are out.

      2. Brought eight window shades from the container. Found it’s more difficult than I thought to install them.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Watched a little as the wrecked box car was unloaded.


  1. Saturday, August 18 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Frank helped me remove the last bolt. We then lifted the plate off and put outside on a pile of steel in the material yard. Unfortunately, it also became apparent that there are several pieces of steel welded to the frame underneath the plate which will need to be removed. There is more work still to be done than I expected.

      2. I started removing the flat head machine screws from the bumper plate.

    2. 309:

      1. Frank had the 309 open for visitors for a few hours.

    3. Misc.:

      1. I operated the three-car North Shore train – very busy due to Thomas days. Seven trips on the mainline – I think.


  1. Wednesday, August 22

    1. 308:

      1. I got some bolts to reattach the coupler support bracket to the bottom plate, so the car could perhaps be moved.

      2. Got a piece of plywood to cover up the gap for safety.

      3. Took measurements of the crown block pieces that will be needed. Bruneau will discuss with Bob Kutella and others where I should get the wood.

      4. Removed most of the rest of the flat head machine screws.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Got awful wet.


  1. Wednesday, August 29

    1. 308:

      1. I trimmed the piece of plywood from last time.

      2. Moved the 308 and 309 so the scaffold can be put between the two.

      3. Sanded down all of the letterboard and the upper siding on the north side, in preparation for a second coat of blue.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Copied down lettering from the CRDX box car for Frank.


  1. Monday, September 3 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I tried outlining the number at the #1 end with a 1/8” brush.

      2. Jeff Brady, Norm Krentel, and I looked at the #2 end.

      3. I wire-wheeled about half of the metal plate over the #2 end.

    2. 309:

      1. Bruce helped me by heating the two nuts that held the tongue plate on the 318 truck. However, the grease pan still needs to be removed. I removed two more bolts. However, I noticed after Bruce had left that the truck had shifted for some reason, and the two remaining bolts were not accessible.

    3. Misc.:

      1. I helped Andy Sunderland a little by flagging while he ran the 14 back and forth while sanding one of the journals.

      2. Dave Swanson and Randy Bachmann from GATS visited; we showed them the 309 and 308.


  1. Wednesday, September 5 (with Frank)

    1. 309:

      1. Frank and I tried to loosen the bolt which holds the two halves of the grease pan together, but without effect.

    2. 308:

      1. We used the air-powered cut-off wheel to remove a piece of steel which had been installed by IMOTAC, but the two big brackets are not suited for this tool. Will still probably need to have them torched off.


  1. Thursday, September 6

    1. 308:

      1. I started taking measurements for blocking at the #2 end floor.

    2. 321:

      1. Sorting of parts.

    3. Misc.:

      1. Looked in the container for tools; took the router home.


  1. Saturday, September 8 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I made templates for the blocking at the #2 end.

      2. Grinding down the edges of the bumper plate.

    2. Misc.:

      1. We attended the Board meeting; Frank was accepted as a regular member, and evidently the three-car picture will be accepted for next year’s calendar.


  1. Sunday, September 9 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I went to South Elgin and took measurements of the toilet ventilator on the 316. Thanks to Don McCorquodale for letting me into the barn.

      2. I stripped the rest of the wood around the door frame for the #1R side door, and painted this section with white primer. I also finished up the Bondo on a small section of the siding above window 15.


  1. Wednesday, September 12

    1. 308:

      1. I brought out the section of subflooring which I had made at home. I installed a full set of flat-head screws and used Bruneau’s drill to countersink holes for the rivet heads. The floor was then installed. (This extends 28” out from the end wall, covering the space between the two traps.)


  1. Wednesday, September 19

    1. 308:

      1. I put some Bondo on cracks in the belt rail, sectors 15-18. I then sanded it down and painted sectors 15-16 with white primer, including the narrow window post at 15-16.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Central Avenue and Yard 5 have been paved


  1. Saturday, September 22 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I painted sectors 15-16 with grey.

      2. I sanded down the belt rail and narrow window posts in sectors 17-18 and 19-22. Painted with brown primer.

      3. I did a first red stripe over the windows on the entire side 15-28, plus touching up on the #1 end.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Pete Vesic was guiding some visitors from Halton County. We showed them the interior of the 309.


  1. Saturday, September 29 (with Frank)

    1. 309:

      1. I finished lubricating all axle caps and main bearings; added two gills to the compressor.

      2. Operated for Member’s Day; five mainline trips during the day and one at night.

      3. A grid opened, so we had to have the car pushed into the barn by a locomotive.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Visited by Doug Carrier and others…..



No comments: