Saturday, January 1, 2022

2002 IRM Journal

 


2002



  1. Wednesday, January 2

    1. 308:

      1. I worked on fitting the remaining transverse floor pieces (5/4 oak)

    2. Misc.:


  1. Saturday, January 5 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I finished fitting the floor pieces, and painted them with primer.

      2. I cut out the corner post splice and trimmed it to fit.

      3. Drilled the hole for the bolt-bracket at this corner.


  1. Saturday, January 12 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I installed the corner post splice and bolted it in place. I also installed the bracket, not yet fastened in.

      2. I cut out the door post splice. Needs some trimming.


  1. Saturday, January 19

    1. 308:

      1. I installed the corner post splice and bolted it in place. I also installed the bracket, not yet fastened in.

      2. I cut out the door post splice. Needs some trimming.


  1. Saturday, January 26 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Started making a cross piece for the base of the wall. Trimmed to fit and attached with wood screws.


  1. Saturday, February 2 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I reset the cross piece at the floor level with lag screws, replacing the wood screws I had installed last time.


  1. Saturday, February 9 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I installed the bolt-bracket for the door post and fastened it with lag screws. I then finished notching out the end of the floor cross piece and attached it with wood screws, one of which broke off.

      2. I installed all three bolts in the splice and tightened them. The door post is now incredibly sturdy.

      3. Primer on all of the new wood.

    2. Misc.:

We attended the annual Soiree in Huntley.


  1. Saturday, February 16 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I reset the cross piece at the floor level with lag screws, replacing the wood screws I had installed last time.

      2. We removed both of the side doors at the #2 end, so Frank can work on them in the shop. One was left leaning up against the car.

      3. I cut out the door post patch piece for the L side, and fit it so that when wedged in place it fits fairly well but is in compression. Unfortunately the original splice was not quite straight, so the fit will not be as good as the other one. I also drilled the holes for the bolts and mortised them for hex heads. Temporarily attached with a couple of carriage bolts, since we don’t seem to have the correct 3/8” x 6” bolts.

      4. Frank worked on an arc chute, and the motor fuse box.


  1. Wednesday, February 20

    1. 308:

      1. I drilled out the hole for the bracket to ¾” with the dept. drill. Then the next bracket could be inserted.

      2. I took the L door post patch to the shop and chiseled out the mortises I’ll need for the cross pieces (and the bracket). I then put the post back in place with one of the temporary bolts.


  1. Saturday, February 23 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I removed the new section of the L side door post, so the bracket could be removed and Frank could paint it black.

      2. I cut out a pattern for the cross pieces from some thin plywood, then two crosspieces for the R side from the stock that came with the car. Attached to the posts with two screws at each end.

      3. After the bracket was dry, I re-inserted it and attached the new L door post permanently. Used the two new bolts. Unfortunately one of the lag screws broke off while I was tightening it into the post. Also, the bracket thread is bunged up at the bottom; probably need a 5/8-11 die to fix it.

      4. Primer on all of the new wood.

      5. Frank worked on the motor fuse box brackets.

      6. He also set up and glued one of the new drop sash windows for the side doors, which he made last Sunday with Bob Kutella.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Frank spoke to the Diesel guys, etc.


  1. Wednesday, February 20

    1. 308:

      1. I fixed the thread on the bracket for the L door post, then put on the nut and bolted it tight.

      2. I pried off what was left of the vertical molding strip on the R door post. We have several long pieces of new molding of this sort from IMOTAC. The post needs to be stripped first.

      3. I drilled out the hole for the bracket for the L side post to ¾” with the dept. drill, and inserted the bracket.

      4. I started working on the end window frame. We have two new window blanks which were made by (or for) IMOTAC. The original window for the motorman’s side is in pretty good shape, and could be restored if we had to; the bottom has fallen out of the window on the other side. I showed them to Bruneau, and we decided to use the new frames on both sides. I narrowed the first blank almost to the correct width for the motorman’s side; some more trimming will be needed. Also need to drill holes for installing the window wiper.


  1. Saturday, April 6 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. We remounted the door on the “L” side (non-motorman) which Frank had finished repainting.


  1. Wednesday, April 17

    1. 309:

      1. I made a frame for mounting the metal sign for the 309. Needs some adjustment; temporarily mounted on the handrails at the west end of the car.


  1. Saturday, April 20 (with Frank)

    1. 308/321:

      1. We drove to Mount Pleasant to pick up the various spare parts Fred Perry had offered us from the 320 project. We took home:

        1. Two inside panels from the ends of the 320

        2. Two end windows in excellent shape, with the frames stripped (weren’t reused because the new ends are spaced differently somehow)

        3. Two side windows in good shape, but without hardware

        4. The two rope guards

        5. The magnet valve for the field tap control, plus its two resistors

        6. A sample of the original ceiling panel over a clerestory window – Fred said we could use the frame they made for laminating ceiling sections if we wanted to – need to measure the 309.

      2. We both got to operate the 320 around the loop.

    2. Misc.:

      1. We ate at the diner in Sandwich.


  1. Sunday, April 21 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I moved all the parts from Mount Pleasant into the 321 for storage.

      2. I stripped the remaining paint from the right (motorman’s) side exterior.

    2. 309:

      1. I modified the bracket so it can attach to the hand rails at the east end of the car, and mounted our flat display sign on the car at the west end.


  1. Wednesday, April 24

    1. 308:

      1. I worked on the window sill for the left side; I planed off the extra wood and cut it to approximate shape on the band saw. It needs more trimming.


  1. Saturday, April 27 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I finished fitting the window sill for the left side and sanded it down. Not fastened in yet because it needs to be painted.

      2. I fitted the second window frame for the left side.

      3. I started removing the screws that hold up the dome light at the #2 end. Will need some help getting it down.

    2. Misc.:

      1. We both attended the safety meeting and took the rules test and passed.

      2. Spoke to Jeff Brady, John Meyer, Jim Foley, and other old-timers.


  1. Wednesday, May 1

    1. 308:

      1. I started installing the tongue and groove siding on the motorman’s side of the end (exterior). Did about five pieces; took more home to be cut for the dash light casting. Painted with brown primer.


  1. Saturday, May 4 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I finished installing all of the siding on the motorman’s side; painted with brown primer.

      2. I installed a vertical trim piece to the left of the window on the motorman’s side (facing car from the outside), and one on the door post to the right of the door. These were both painted with primer. Started on making a piece for holding the window frame, then the last molding strip on the motorman’s side can be installed. Finally, I installed the long molding strip on the left door post; not yet painted.

      3. Frank and I put a second coat of blue on the letterboard and the siding below it on the “L” side of the car. I also put a first coat of blue on the metal plate over the #2 end.

      4. I got the handrail and grab irons for the #2 end from the 321. Frank did some wire-wheeling on them.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Frank met a friend of his from California and gave him a tour, etc.

      2. When I went to the 321, I found that someone had placed a step ladder next to the car at the oval window (which has no glass). There was no evidence that anyone had entered the car or taken anything, but this is rather disturbing. The ladder was put back against the wall behind the 4001, out of sight, I hope.


  1. Wednesday, May 8

    1. 308:

      1. I fitted and installed a small piece on the right side of the motorman’s window to hold the sash in place.

      2. Bondo on the “R” corner post and both door posts, as well as a small knot hole in the floor.

      3. I fitted and installed the second molding strip on the “R” door post, and painted both of them with primer.


  1. Saturday, May 11 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Because it was raining heavily and there were few visitors, we roped off the aisle and set up sawhorses for painting seat cushions with semi-gloss black latex paint. Painted about half of the reversible cushions, most of the cushions and backs for the stationary seats in the smoker, and three of the four reversible backs in the smoker. They look good.

      2. I sanded down the Bondo from last time, and put some more on the “L” corner post, etc.

      3. I did some more sanding on the “L” window sill to improve the shape. Drilled holes to fasten it in, but I can’t find my countersink bit.

      4. I straightened up inside the car, and took a load of unneeded parts from the car to the container.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Frank helped with the 415, which had run into a truck.

      2. We stopped at the Pullman Library after supper and looked at magazines.


  1. Sunday, May 12 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I fastened the “L” window sill in place and painted it with primer.

      2. I cut out a piece for holding the “L” end window frame and installed it on the door post.

      3. I installed one (narrow) piece of tongue and groove siding on the door post and painted it. This allowed me to then install the second vertical molding strip on the “L” door post.

      4. I also installed the grab iron on the “R” door post; primer.

      5. Finally, Frank and I brought over the train door and made a test fit. It seems to fit well, amazingly enough; there’s a gap at the top because the 1¼” threshold piece is not yet made or installed. The end looks remarkably complete with the train door in place.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Bruneau showed us an interesting picture from Malcolm McCarter, which seems to show the 309 on a test run immediately after it had been delivered, before the electrical equipment was installed. There are no trolley poles or underbody equipment.


  1. Wednesday, May 15

    1. 308:

      1. I cut out and installed the threshold piece for the train door. Painted with primer.

      2. I installed the jumper step on the door post.

      3. I installed the dash light casting.

      4. I burned off the old paint that was still on the “L” corner post above the splice.

      5. Unfortunately the train door no longer fits in the doorway; either the door or the threshold will have to modified. Frank is planning to rebuild the door in the shop. The lower half of it seems to be an IMOTAC replacement.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Bob Rayunec dropped off several wood pieces from the 318 which he had removed back in 1977. None of them are essential, several are broken or damaged.


  1. Saturday, May 18 (with Frank)

    1. 309:

      1. We moved the 229 out of Barn 8 and used it to push the dump trailer, F208, so we could move the 309 and replace a grid box. However, we couldn’t find the grid jack Frank wanted to use, so nothing got done. Eventually, we put the 229 and F208 back where we found them.

    2. 308:

      1. I started applying some butyl caulk to the siding.

      2. I burned off the old paint from the side door lintels on both sides. I then painted the door frame entirely around the door on the “L” side.

      3. We took the train door to the shop. Closer examination revealed that the IMOTAC patches to the bottom half of the door are very poorly done, and probably render it unusable. We may try to use a 310 train door.

    3. Misc.:

      1. We both helped a little with shoveling gravel from track 41, due to the track renewal project.


  1. Wednesday, May 22

    1. 308:

      1. I cut out a piece of poplar (2¼ x 4 3/8 x 7) for over the door on the “L” side and took it home for shaping.

      2. Trimmed the top of the window frame on the “L” side so it fits better.

      3. Painted the siding and other areas that had been caulked on Saturday – now looks much better. I also put primer on the outside of both end window frames.

      4. Drilled out the holes for the bolts on the “R” side which hold up the step. Took home some old bolts which will need their threads cleaned before we can use them.


  1. Saturday, May 25 (with Frank)

    1. 309:

      1. I installed the last two pieces of stained glass in the clerestory, sectors 2 and 3, thus finally completing this job.

    2. 308:

      1. I made a template of the 308 train door; we went to the container and found that it is wider than the 310 train door, which therefore cannot be used.

      2. I installed the second step well. Later I also replaced one of the bolts holding up the first step (side “L”), since it was too long.

      3. I finally removed all of the screws and dropped the dome light at the #2 end. I started rewiring for the gauge light and the dash light. I also dropped the #1 end dome light again, so the wood can be beefed up.

      4. I worked on the interrupter for the buzzer circuit. Still doesn’t work.

      5. We worked on the 308 train door a little; we removed the bottom plate and I planed about ¼” off. We then put it back on the car, where it fit. This makes the end look much better.


  1. Sunday, May 26 (with Frank)

    1. 309:

      1. We moved the car over to the pit for changing out grid boxes. First, the first grid box on the #2 side was removed and replaced by the one completely rebuilt by Frank last winter. Then we dropped out the second grid box from the #1 side and put it in the #2 side, since this box on the #2 side was bad. I also replaced the jumper from the first to the second boxes. The car was tested on the new 41 track and performed OK.

      2. We checked lubrication and did all of the axle caps.

      3. Car was returned to the barn, at the door.

    2. 308:

      1. I put two pieces of wood into the ceiling at the #1 end to support the dome light and fastened them in place.

    3. Misc.:

      1. Frank helped with moving the 229 and the dump motor, both of which had broken down.


  1. Monday, May 27 (with Frank)

    1. 309:

      1. Operated in revenue service – four trips on the main line, once around the car loop. No problems developed.

      2. I checked lubrication on all of the main bearings.

      3. Car was returned to the barn, at the door.


  1. Wednesday, May 29

    1. 308:

      1. I started installing siding on the “L” side exterior, using wood I had just finished milling at home. Did about 2/3 of the side. Painted with primer.

    2. 309:

      1. Bruneau informed me of the outrageous prices quoted by McHenry for rebuilding the motors: $10K for the “good” one, $25K for the one with the shorted rotor.


  1. Saturday, June 1 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I finished installing the poplar tongue and groove siding on the exterior “L” side. Painted with primer.

      2. We moved the car under its own power out of the barn, to get better light for Frank. First, we discovered that some practical joker had cut out the triple valve. Also, the feed valve appeared to be stuck open. Other than that, the car seems to run well.

      3. Frank finished painting the truss rods on the “R” side of the car black; he then did the entire side sill, queen posts, and truss rods on the “L” side.

      4. I put white primer on the #2 end of the car, where it will be painted red. We think the red does not cover the brown primer sufficiently, and ends up being too dark. Try putting it over white primer instead. We also painted the molding strip under the belt rail on the 15-28 side with whiter primer for the same reason.

      5. We both worked on removing loose paint from the ceiling with a broom.

      6. Bob Heinlein took the feed valve and rebuilt it in the shop. After reinstallation, however, it still appeared to be stuck open. (Just when you think there’s an advice shortage, Dave Shore shows up.) Later, after the car was pulled into the barn, Bob and Rich Block worked on it some more and got it working correctly. Thanks to Rich and Bob.

      7. We tightened up some bolts holding the compressor to the cradle.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Spoke to Ken Moore, who used to work at Wheaton Shops (c. 1947-1951). He told about operating the overhead crane, and told the story of how he was trying to change a bearing on a car at Laramie one day when it shorted to the third rail and his hands were badly burned.


  1. Saturday, June 8 (with Frank and Jack Biesterfeld)

    1. 308:

      1. I burned off the remaining old paint over the train door, then painted it and the trim over the end windows with brown primer.

      2. Jack cleaned off the remaining seats – we decided to put off painting any more of them for now, as after thorough cleaning they look pretty good.

      3. Jack helped us load a lot of spare parts and stuff out of the 308 into my car, and then into the 321.

      4. We rolled up the carpets, then Jack did a thorough sweeping and vacuuming. Starting to look ready for service.

      5. Frank and I put a second coat of blue below the window sill on the entire 15-28 side.

      6. Removed two (309/310) windows at sectors 17 and 18 for repainting.

      7. We started attaching the side light fixtures so people won’t come into contact with the bare wires. Did sectors 19-28; need more #6 RH brass wood screws.

    2. Misc.:

      1. I went up to the station to look at a reported problem with the 160’s controller.

      2. I finally mailed a letter to T. J. Miller.


  1. Saturday, June 15 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I connected the trolley base at the #1 end, and later taped it up.

      2. I tested both 308 whistle control valves, but they both leak. Spoke to Bob Heinlein about it.

      3. I installed both rope guards from the 320, although not all screws are installed (they’re not quite the right kind, anyhow).

      4. We installed some more side light fixtures.

      5. Got some 318 handrails from the container, since one of the 308’s seems to be missing. Frank stripped one of them.

      6. Also, got the complete set of seat handles from the container and started attaching them.

      7. I finished the woodwork to hold the “L” side end window in place and painted it with primer; also filed down the frame so it fits correctly. I then cut and trimmed a vertical molding strip for the “L” corner and installed it. Painted with primer.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Saw the 3985.


  1. Wednesday, June 19 (with Frank and Jack)

    1. 308:

      1. Frank spent most of the day painting various parts of the car, including second red and first blue on the end. Jack was cleaning windows. I started working on the trim strip between window 1 and the side door, but stopped due to wet paint in that area.

      2. I tested the buzzer circuits some more; the supply wire to the pull switch is broken off at the terminal. Will probably need to remove the interrupter for repair.

      3. I made two pieces of ½” poplar trim for the ends, which are mounted below the window sills. I bent them using two Jorgenson clamps and left them in the shop.


  1. Saturday, June 22 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I installed the new block of wood for the “L” corner post and shaped it. Bondo around the edges, not yet sanded down. Also worked a little more on the trim strip next to window 1.

      2. We pulled the car outside for “Chicago Day”.

      3. We put a second coat of blue on the #2 end, including around the “L” corner post.

      4. I sanded down unpainted sections of the window posts and window sill in the 25-28 sectors, then spot primed them with brown primer.

      5. Frank had made a stencil for the black outlining of the numbers; we both did the lettering on the 15-28 side.

      6. Frank installed a new piece of cardboard at the #1 end to cover up the rotted-out siding, then painted it blue.

      7. I made a test installation of the two trim pieces on the end (made last time); they were trimmed and taken home for painting.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Spoke to Bruce Moffat and bought an autographed copy of his new book on the Chicago Tunnel.

      2. Frank attended a meeting of the 50th anniversary planning committee.


  1. Wednesday, June 26 (with Frank and Jack)

    1. 308:

      1. I filed and sanded down the Bondo around the new corner post block; then applied a second coat of Bondo.

      2. Frank started painting the numbers on the 15-28 side with lettering gold. He finished the number at sector 27 and did the “3” at sector 16.

      3. We decided to move the car to the pit, running under its own power. No problem.


  1. Sunday, June 30 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. We did a complete inspection of the 308, including all lubrication. Highlights:

        1. Lubrication and inspection of the reverser. It now throws much more easily. Still haven’t located the control resistors, but they’re obviously OK.

        2. Motors look good – bottom pole clearance is at least twice the official limit (the thickness of two bandsaw blades).

        3. Brake slack adjustment – slack adjustment changed the standing piston travel from 6½” to 4”.

        4. Triple valve still needs to be cleaned – it’s very difficult to make a light application, and it leaks in the release position. As a result, with the motorman’s valve in lap the brake pipe pressure drops rapidly.

        5. Still need a functioning whistle valve.

      2. Bruce heated up the nuts which hold the #1 coupler on. The small one was removed, and the thick one was turned until only half the threads are engaged.

      3. We removed the train door at the #2 end and left in Barn 4 so I can work on it in the shop.

      4. We operated the 308 for its very first mainline trip with the 309. Also posed for pictures on the main line and at 50th Avenue. Train was wyed so the 308 is now on the east, and put back on track 84. We found that the #3 bearing on the “L” side was running hot, while all the rest were cool. Everything else seems OK.

    2. 309:

      1. One mainline trip with the 308.

    3. Misc.:

      1. Pete Vesic died of a heart attack on Saturday. He was 47.


  1. Monday, July 1 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Straightened up the car and put all of the display signs in place.

      2. Installed the vertical window shades for both sliding doors.

      3. I filed and sanded down the Bondo on the door post block, then painted it with white primer.

      4. We inspected the #3 bearing, using the Car Dept. bottle jack. I found that the wedge was not positioned properly, and it was sitting under the two flanges in front which are supposed to hold it in place. As a result, the weight on the bearing was limited to the front ½” or so. The bearing as a whole does not seem to be damaged, and we could not completely remove it, so everything was put back together correctly and we decided to make another test trip, hoping the problem has been fixed.

      5. Frank had tested various whistle valves and found a good one, but after installing it, it still leaks.

      6. Operated for another mainline trip with the 309. We used Bruneau’s IR gun to measure temperatures. The #3 bearing now seems to be fine. We noted that the bearings on the motor truck run slightly hotter than the trailer truck, but that’s to be expected due to the greater axle loading. I also tried measuring the temperatures of the motor cases. After one round trip at 30mph, no delays due to meets, etc., the four powered motors read 88 or 89 degrees, while the two dead motors were 84 degrees.

    2. 309:

      1. One mainline trip with the 308. All bearings were monitored and are OK.

    3. 321:

      1. I tacked a thin strip of wood onto one of the end windows from the 320, and installed it at the #1 end of the 321, filling this hole (it’s only been 5½ years). Window glass is very dirty.


  1. Thursday, July 4 (with Frank)

    1. 308 and 309:

      1. Operated the two car train for the CA&E abandonment re-enactment, the trolley pageant, and two more main-line trips. Worked well, both cars were full for each trip, and we got lots of compliments. Jim Johnson was a guest motorman. Helped by Andy Chmura, Vic Humphreys, and Mike Tys (sp?). Jack Biesterfeld was there briefly. Met Steve Hyett. T. J. Miller and Craig Pressler had been invited, but neither showed up.

      2. It would really help to get the 308’s buzzer working.


  1. Saturday, July 6 (with Frank)

    1. 309:

      1. Worked on removing bolts holding the last two 318 motors to the trucks. After a while, the Jim Team took back the socket set, since they were working on the Electroliner over the pit. Too hot to do very much.

      2. Put all of the signs back on the 308 and 309.

    2. 308:

      1. Installed more of the top layer of flooring on the #2 platform – six boards.

    3. M1:

      1. Since the Electroliner was out of the barn, we were able to pull the M1 outside for pictures, for the first time since we repainted it in 1997. Still looks good. We used the Cornwall 14, and then put it back on 82.


  1. Wednesday, July 10 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Removed the two end window frames and took them home, along with the original glass, so the frames can be modified and the glass installed.

      2. Moved the train door into the shop.

      3. Worked on removing the triple valve for cleaning. After loosening all three bolts holding the valve to the bracket, it still won’t come loose – the gasket must be glued to both sides. However, I was able to remove the end cover plate on the valve itself, and this would allow me to remove the slide portion. Since I don’t want to damage the gasket, knowing already that we don’t have any spares for an M2A, I plan to clean out the valve in place, clean the slide portion, and see if this works. The main objective is to stop the leak out the exhaust pipe in the release position, and allow light applications on a small reduction.


  1. Sunday, July 21 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I removed the slide portion of the triple valve and cleaned it, and cleaned out the body of the valve as best I could. I then lubricated it with graphite and put it back together. Didn’t help – the valve acts exactly as it did before.

      2. Installed three more boards for the platform floor.

      3. Looked at the train door which is now in the shop. Partly disassembled the patches at the bottom which had been installed by IMOTAC.

      4. Sorting of parts – too hot to do very much.

    2. 321:

      1. Since the only tolerable place to work was under the car, I replaced the field tap magnet valve and its resistors with the parts from the 320. Unfortunately, this didn’t help either. It still doesn’t work.


  1. Wednesday, July 24

    1. 308:

      1. I found the three sections of 87” moulding which had been left in Barn 4 and returned them to the 308 – roughly sectors 7-9, 22-24, and 25-27. Started working on reinstalling them.

      2. Sorted parts in the 321.


  1. Wednesday, July 31

    1. 308:

      1. I helped Bruneau identify the 308’s replacement compressor.

      2. Worked a little more on the 87” moulding.

      3. Trimmed, painted, and installed one more floorboard.

      4. More sorting of parts.


  1. Saturday, August 10

    1. 308:

      1. I reset the screws holding the hinges for the trap door at the #2L corner. It now latches in the up position reliably.

      2. Trimmed, painted, and installed another floor board.

      3. With the help of Tom Stoneberg, I found a 2 ½” nut for use on the replacement coupler.

      4. Drilled some more holes for piping and wiring at the #2 end. Test fit the sleet scraper control.

    2. 309:

      1. I measured the relative heights of the center and side bearings as best I could, and compared them to the 318 trucks in the field. I am pretty sure the 318’s side bearings are too high; on one truck the top castings have already been removed.


  1. Wednesday, August 14

    1. 308:

      1. Some more drilling on the holes for piping.

      2. I worked on removing the window shade in the vestibule, which IMOTAC had stuck inside the box overhead. Carefully using the heat gun, I was finally able to remove it and unroll most of it. Needs some more work, but demonstrates a method of ungluing stuck window shades which I may want to try some more.

      3. Took home a windshield wiper for test installation on the motorman’s window.


  1. Saturday, August 17

    1. 308:

      1. Some more drilling on the holes for piping – need longer drill bits.

      2. I finished painting, fitted, and installed the inside post piece on the “R” side of the train door. Nailed in place.

      3. Started installing the siding on the inside of the “R” side. Got about halfway done, need insulated staples.

      4. Installed the rebuilt window on the motorman’s side.

    2. Misc.:

      1. I had the 308 and 309 open for visitors due to Thomas day.


  1. Wednesday, August 21 (with Frank and Jack B.)

    1. 308:

      1. I soldered the connections for the dash light, and attached the wires inside the end framing with insulated staples.

      2. I installed the rest of the interior siding on the motorman’s side, except for the last board which will need to be trimmed once the post facing is installed. Painted with primer. Frank helped by cutting the boards to length.

      3. Jack started sanding the smoker ceiling, using the palm sander. Mostly sectors 15 and 16. Not down to bare wood, just get rid of the loose stuff and smooth it off.

      4. Frank worked on the contactor boxes, and cleaned off and painted the sleet scraper valve with primer.


  1. Wednesday, August 28 (with Frank and Jack B.)

    1. 308:

      1. Jack finished sanding all of the smoker (center) ceiling, using the palm sander. Not down to bare wood, just get rid of the loose stuff and smooth it off.

      2. Frank pulled the 308 and 309 over to Barn 4 so he could use the needle chipper, and finished his work on the side sills and truss rods. Started on the pilots.

      3. I inspected what had been done and ran the cars back to Barn 8.


  1. Monday, September 2 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I started putting a first coat on the smoker ceiling, sectors 11 and 12. Also the 89” and 93” moldings in these sectors, and half of the smoker bulkhead. Will need at least one more coat of primer. Used Rustoleum white primer.

      2. I made a block for the window sill on the “L” side of the #2 end. Left for Frank to paint with primer.

      3. I removed the molding strip under the window sill at the #2 end, countersunk the holes on both pieces, and then installed them both.

      4. I plugged the holes with dowels and re-installed the grab iron on the #2R corner, since it had come out.

      5. Frank took the #2 end brake valve to the shop and completely sand-blasted it. Ready for primer.

      6. Sorting of parts in the 321.


  1. Wednesday, September 4 (with Frank and Jack B.)

    1. 308:

      1. Jack finished painting a first coat of white primer on all of the center ceiling panels in the smoker.

      2. Frank painted some more parts, including the sleet scraper valve.

      3. I painted the rest of the smoker bulkhead, and the 89” and 93” moldings in sectors 15-18. Also the triangles and quadrangle, sectors 17-18.


  1. Saturday, September 7 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I removed one of the trap door flaps from the #2 end so we could match the color of the floor paint. It appears to be identical to the brown color of the coffee and cream paint scheme (aka “Budd Light Brown”).

      2. I fitted and installed the block for the window sill on the “L” side. Started installing siding at this end; six boards done.

      3. I installed one more flooring board; unfortunately, the “L” side door binds on the flooring. Not sure why; needs to be raised slightly.

      4. We wyed the 308 and 309, so the 309 is now at the door. This will allow us to pull the 308 over the pit conveniently.

      5. I made a wooden frame for holding the metal sign for the 308, finally.


  1. Monday, September 9

    1. 308:

      1. I mounted the metal sign, so that all six signs are now arranged correctly.

    2. 321:

      1. I changed out the padlock on the jewelry wall locker; the old one no longer worked.


  1. Saturday, September 14 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I removed the side door on the “L” side and rasped the bottom, so it can be closed (since the door could not be easily raised).

      2. I installed one more floor board.

      3. I fitted and installed the last piece of siding on the motorman’s side.

      4. I fitted and installed the inside post on the “L” side.

      5. I applied a first coat of varnish to the bulkhead in the smoker, adjacent to window 11.

    2. 309:

      1. Frank repainted all of the hand rails with Fleet Grey.

      2. He also did several miscellaneous parts in the paint room.


  1. Wednesday, September 18 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Frank painted several parts of the car and completely sanded down the door posts around the #1R door.

      2. We discussed various plans for changing out the compressor – it will be more difficult than I had thought.

      3. Planning for the switch move on Sunday.


  1. Saturday, September 21 (with Frank)

    1. Misc.:

      1. We operated the 251 and 757 in service for Members’ Day. Also, I got to operate the four-car train for most of a “super trip”. Helped by Andy Chmura and Mike ?. We lubricated all main journals. No problems.

      2. Rode the 431 at night, etc.


  1. Sunday, September 22 (with Frank)

    1. 308, 309, 321:

      1. We switched out the three cars, using the Cornwall 14 to move the 321. The 321 is now trained with the 308, and the new two-car train seemed to work just fine. Now arranged from east to west: 321+308, 309.

      2. Cleaning and straightening. Removed the annoying rolls of trolley wire from the barn.

      3. Looked at the possibility of removing the truss rod so the compressor can be changed out.


  1. Saturday, September 28 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Worked on fitting new pipes for the #2 end brake valve, including new unions.

      2. Frank painted various parts.

      3. We had wanted to run the 308+321 over to Barn 4 so Rich Block could show Frank how to make proper waste bundles for the axle caps, but Rich wasn’t there.

    2. 309:

      1. We dropped the pilot from the #1 end and stored it under the scaffold.


Sunday, September 29 (Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. Frank pulled the 308+321 over to Barn 4 to work on the compressor. Started by removing the headlight resistor box. All of the resistor tubes appeared to be OK, so why it didn’t work is a mystery. Frank wire-wheeled the box and started repainting it.

      2. Based on advice from Andy Sunderland, we may not need to drop the truss rod. Instead, we can probably jack up the #1 end slightly, since there are no motor leads, and pull the compressor out. Plan to do this next Sunday. Frank disconnected the leads to the compressor and undid the pipe union.


  1. Monday, September 30

    1. 309:

      1. I drove into Chicago to examine Steiner’s progress on the two motors for the 309.


Saturday, October 5 (Frank)


I pulled 308 and 321 over to the pit, and Rich Block and I set to work. We removed the waste from both axle caps on the #2-motor (not sure of number; it was second from the end of the car) on 308; it was not found to be particularly rancid, but was very poorly packed and looked to be susceptible to waste grabs. We set about making new waste bundles, which took the entire afternoon for the two axle caps. THE FOLLOWING IS IMPORTANT, please record it! Bundles used were as follows: for each axle cap, 2 bundles of 80 strands each for contact; 4 bundles of 50 strands each for packing; 1 bundle of 100 strands for dust cover. This should be repeated for all identical axle caps on 308 and 309. Both cars were put back in Barn 8 afterward.

10/6/02 - Sunday

I pulled 308 and 321 over to the pit track again, about 1:30pm. We spotted 308 over the road, disconnected it air-wise from 321 and drained 308's tanks. I then disconnected the D3F compressor (the air connection had been left in place as an expediency when the compressor was electrically disconnected on 9/29/02). Four other people were involved in this operation. Wes Lloyd operated the Army fork truck; Bruce Lampson guided him; Bob Bruneau directed; and Jeff Obarek helped by relaying operating commands to me. First, we lifted the compressor using the fork truck and removed the keepers, allowing the cradle and compressor to drop. The compressor was dropped to the ground, but would not clear the truss rods. I operated 321-308 several feet west so as to position the compressor next to the #1 end truck, where the truss rod was higher. Jeff Obarek relayed commands at this time. Since only 321 had air, the cars were not stopped quite soon enough and minor damage to piping on the D3F occurred. The damaged parts were later replaced. The fork truck was able to remove the compressor and cradle from underneath the 308 at this time, and put it in Barn 4. The air pipe to the compressor on 308 was plugged, air put on the car (using 321's compressor) and the 308/321 were taken back to Barn 8. The cars were back in the barn only an hour after the beginning of the operation.


  1. Wednesday, October 16 (with Frank and Jack)

    1. 308:

      1. Frank painted several parts of the car and did more sanding.

      2. Jack worked on the ceiling of the smoker and almost completed a second coat of primer on everything. Looks very good.

      3. We looked at the cradle and the old compressor. Incidentally, Frank discovered that the D3F which came with the car had a plate which indicated it had last been serviced at Skokie by the CTA on March 30, 1960. It must therefore have been installed on the car by IMOTAC, who also damaged the cradle.

      4. I fitted the last two boards for the upper floor of the platform, and left them in the paint room for Frank to paint on Sunday.


  1. Wednesday, October 23 (with Frank and Jack)

    1. 308:

      1. Frank painted several parts of the car and did more sanding.

      2. Jack started working on the main compartment ceiling and did a first coat of primer on the 10½ - 18½ sector. Looks good.

    2. 309:

      1. We discussed a general time frame and some of the necessary prep work for changing out the truck with Bruneau. Frank and I examined the two 318 trucks out in the field and agreed that the one farther north is best situated. It needs its side bearings removed, but this should not be difficult. The main journals need to be cleaned.


  1. Saturday, October 26

    1. 308:

      1. Finished installing the floor boards in the #2 vestibule.

      2. Installed the cast bracket for the hand brake at the #1 end.

      3. Removed the siding at the #1R corner which were rotted out at the bottom and will need to be replaced. Also started at chopping away the bottom splice for the corner post.

    2. 309/321:

      1. I switched the order of the cars to put the 309 at the door. Helped by Bob Heinlein and Dave Shore. In the process, we had a slow-speed collision between the 309 and the 321 at the 81-82 switch. The handrail at the #1L corner of the 309 was pulled off, and slightly bent in the process, and there was some damage to the side of the 321 at about sector 25-26. I filed an “Incident Report” with Harold Krewer.



For the log, here's what happened on Wednesday, October 29, 2002.

Jack Biesterfeld:

308 - More work on ceiling in main compartment. Coat of white primer on panel closest to middle bulkhead [sector 10½ - 18½], and putty work on second panel from middle bulkhead [sector 9-10-19-20].

Frank Hicks:

308 - Paint red over motorman's window exterior to cover caulked areas; second coat of black paint on headlight resistor box; more blue paint on brake stand piping; second coat of red on curved grab for #2 end

309 - Gave damaged side grab to Mike Alterio to straighten

321 - Touched up damaged T&G siding areas with maroon paint


  1. Saturday, October 26

    1. 309:

      1. I removed both steps at the #1 end and placed them against the wall of the barn.

      2. I disconnected the motor leads to the #1 truck. I also disconnected the ground lead. The third rail bus connection to the truck will need some more work to get it loose.

      3. I disconnected the air and bus leads to the third rail beams, and loosened all of the bolts. I decided not to try to remove them by myself.

      4. I straightened up the third rail beam on the #2 truck and tightened all the bolts. (Last week, Dave Shore reported he thought the whole truck was “cocked” and that probably a leaf spring was broken, etc. Actual cause: two loose bolts, fixed in five minutes.)

    2. 308:

      1. I installed four more siding boards on the inside vestibule wall and painted them.

      2. Finished removing the bottom part of the corner post at #1R.

      3. I installed the sliding metal door which Frank had repainted on the vestibule wall. I wanted to try to install the curved grab iron but the red paint was still tacky (!).

    3. Misc.:

      1. Cleaning and straightening in 321.



Wednesday, November 6, 2002:


308:

Jack Biesterfeld - more work on smoker and main compartment ceiling panels

Frank Hicks - primed interior siding boards for vestibule; primed #1 end body corner post, end window sill



  1. Saturday, November 9 (with Frank)

    1. Misc.:

      1. We went to Relic; Jim Ganya (sp?) let us into the barn. Frank made some tracings of the outlined lettering on the letterboard of the 20. The 317 has C6 controllers; the 316 has two C21E’s.

    2. 308:

      1. I installed a new set screw in the hand brake at the #1 end, so it can’t be removed.

      2. I finished installing the interior siding on the #2L side, and installed the bolts for holding the retriever bracket. I also attached the connector box for the vestibule heater.

      3. I selected some wood for the window sill on the L side and a part of the post and took them home for cutting to shape.

      4. I went to the container and got a gallon of Penta, for Frank to apply to the vestibule floor. I also picked up all of the remaining parts for the handbrake at the #2 end and brought them back to the 308.

    3. 309:

      1. I worked some more on removing the block which holds the third-rail cable lead to the truck, but without success. Probably need to do this over the pit.



Sunday, November 10, 2002:

308:

Gerry Dettloff, _____ Dettloff, Lenny Halter, _____ Halter – repaired compressor cradle (this involved a great deal of welding and steel replacement, and took about 6 hours); welded up broken hinge on one trap flap

Frank Hicks - needle-chipped (where necessary) and primed all #2-end hand brake components; stripped and primed grab from #2-R body corner post; painted interior panel under motorman's window and #2-R end corner post blue; needle-chipped and primed trap flap

321:

Frank Hicks - removed, stripped and primed door handle from #1 end train door


Monday, November 11, 2002:

308:

Frank Hicks - finished priming some #2-end hand brake components, painted other components blue; painted one "cloverleaf" on recently-primed grab blue; painted trap flap Budd light brown; left note for Jack recommending continuing work on ceiling and mentioning importance of pulling the stinger when closing up

309:

Frank Hicks - completely disassembled damaged grid box; needle-chipped all box frame components, wire-wheeled and primed some; determined type of grid element needing replacement and retrieved four from the grid car

321:

Frank Hicks - painted recently-primed door handle Budd light brown


General:

Frank Hicks - talked with Dave Diamond; he hopes to have the new containers ready for use by Christmas, or shortly thereafter. Also, entering into discussions with Fox River members which may net us access to original CA&E

stencils and possibly even other goodies in the long run


Sunday, November 17:

308:

Various handbrake components painted blue, two grabs painted grey; trap flap painted silver; curved #2-end window grab taken out to car; brake stand exhaust pipe taken out to car; one new uncompleted door-window sash was brought into shop for finishing work

309:

Various grid box components primed or painted black; Bruce says he will try to put one of the 318 trucks on rail this week

321:

#1-end train door exterior handle, having been painted tan, was reinstalled


Tuesday, November 19:

309:

Bruce Lampson dug one of the 318 trucks out of the mud and put it on track 84 by the door.


Wednesday, November 20:

308:

Trap flap painted with second coat of brown; more hand brake components painted blue; floor in #2-end vestibule Penta'd, two coats

309:

Grid element contact faces wire-wheeled; copper washers flattened; other miscellaneous grid box work



  1. Saturday, November 23

    1. 308:

      1. I painted and then installed the reglazed end window for the #2L side.

      2. I finished chopping away at the flooring and wall brace at the #1R corner, and vacuumed out all of the loose pieces. Unfortunately more came out from under the top floor layer (towards the center line) than I had expected. I could not loosen the nut on the bracket which held the bottom of the post to the floor.

    2. 309:

      1. I removed both of the third rail beams from the #1 truck. The one on the sidewalk side is lying on the sidewalk; the one next to the wall is still supported on two small stepladders.

      2. I reset the wedges on the 318 truck, vacuumed out the journal boxes, and filled them with oil.

      3. I noticed that the brake rigging attachment to the truck is with a bolt, not a pin; the nut is held on with a cotter pin which can be easily turned, but not removed. However, I expect that over the pit this could be quickly released.

    3. Misc.:

      1. Cleaning and straightening in 321.


  1. Saturday, November 30

    1. 308:

      1. I installed the repainted brackets for the handbrake at the #2 end. Can be removed if necessary.

      2. I modified the metal strip which protects the floor from the trap at the #2L corner and installed it correctly.

      3. I applied some Penta to the remains of the floor at the #1 end; I also cut out two blocks to start filling up the gap in the floor and inserted them.

      4. I trimmed the new window sill piece and a vertical trim strip and painted them with primer. Not yet fastened in, since the window sill still blocks the side door slightly.


  1. Sunday, December 8

    1. 309:

      1. For the first time since the 309 left Wheaton, I believe, we lifted the car off its trucks. The #1 truck was removed and replaced by the 318 shop truck. Helped by Bruce Lampson and Bob Bruneau; Bruce did most of the work. Both kingpins had to be removed. It turned out that the center bearings are different, so we put a metal plate (about 1” thick) between the car’s center bearing and the truck, greased it up, and relied on the kingpin to hold the truck in place. Bruce had already removed the side bearings on the shop truck, so there was no clearance problem there. I cleaned up the kingpin for the #2 end; it hasn’t yet seated itself. The 309 was put back in the barn on track 84, using the Joy #2 locomotive.

      2. The motor truck was placed over the pit and we started loosening bolts in preparation for removing the motors. There were three bolts on the gear pans which could not be loosened, so Bruce got the torch and heated them up, setting some of the grease on fire in the process. One finally broke apart, and another stripped its threads, but all the gear pans and axle caps are ready for removal.


Sun. 12-15-02

309

Bruce Lampson, Wes Lloyd, Warren Lloyd, Frank Hicks: we were able to remove the #2 motor from the truck, using the A-frame since the forklift was broken. It took about 4 hours, of which 1.5-2 hours were spent removing gear pan bolts. The motor was set on the ground and axle caps reattached.

Mon. 12-16-02

309

Bruce Lampson, Wes Lloyd, Frank Hicks: we removed the #1 motor from the truck, again using the A-frame. This one was easier, because the gear pan bolts could be removed by hand; this project was accomplished in about one hour. Axle caps were reattached to #1 motor, and all axle cap bearing brasses were taped to the axles. Both motors were put on pallets, and it was proven that we can move them around with the pallet jack (NOTE: this will make it possible to put motors at the rear of the container). Frank Hicks spent much of the rest of the day needle-chipping dirt and grease off of the truck, completing about 1/4 of the side frame area. Grid box end pieces were given a second coat of black.


Tue. 12-17-02

309

Frank Hicks: I spent the entire day needle-chipping the truck, completing about 2/3 of the total side frame area. Grid box front end piece was lettered in silver (to substitute for missing badge plate), and miscellaneous grid box parts were painted black. Where the truck is concerned, the following should be noted: Pullman green paint was found on numerous parts of the truck frame, including coil spring caps. However, no Pullman green paint was found on equalizers, and the equalizers appeared to be made of noticeably less-worn metal suggesting that they were replaced at some point. Miscellaneous other parts, including journal box lids, did not obviously feature Pullman green but whether this is indicative of replacement or simply too much gunk on them to determine paint colors, I'm not sure (some lids were obviously replaced). No striping or lettering was apparent, and no identification other than "342" stamped into the side frames was found. Black paint was found on virtually all parts of the truck.

Misc.: Trolleyville - The latest word is that Nick talked to Gary Brookins (son of the "original" Gerald Brookins), who said that they're still looking into several possibilities. No firm feeling on whether or not the collection will remain intact, but the probability is strong. However, good news: Gary says that even if the collection remains intact, IRM will definitely get a car or two - they know we're interested.


Wed. 12-18-02

309

Frank Hicks: it was 60 degrees today, but too wet to paint. We should look into the possibility of putting the truck in the Barn 2 shop (which is supposed to be heated sometime soon) for a short time to paint it. A little more needle-chipping on the truck frame was done; this is basically completed except for one or two journal boxes, and bolster areas. Following inspection of grid box under the 309, the rebuilt grid box was reassembled. This box is now completed, although an electrical resistance test has not been conducted. Grid box is in the shop. Note: when put in place this will be the second from the #1 end; designation is "4A14-8A4". This designates 14 #4 grid elements and 4 #8 elements.


Sunday, 22 December 2002:

308: Frank Hicks - took a number of progress photos of both 308 and 309 projects with Jamie Kolanowski's digital camera; he says he will post a progress report on the website soon. Heat-stripped paint off bottom of bulkhead in #2 vestibule, R side, so that once the floor is painted heat-stripping will not raise the paint on the floor. Removed trap from #2 vestibule R side, drilling out one screw; disassembled trap in shop.

309: Took grid box from shop over to car; box is ready to install, but this is a two-man job. Did a little more needle-chipping on the truck (this is done except for the bolster, which is really greasy). Went to the Diesel Shop and discussed with Brian Swan the possibility of putting the #1 truck in their (soon-to-be-heated) shop for a week or so to paint it; he said that it sounded possible, but that Dave Dote's approval was needed. I will e-mail Dote.

Monday, 23 December 2002:

308: Frank Hicks - did work on replacement side-door drop sash window frame. Located and drilled holes for latch and pull-tab; cut to shape and sanded window sticks; and primed one side of window frame and all window sticks. Was helped considerably by Roger Broms, a Diesel Dept worker working on regular membership. Also sand-blasted some trap hardware parts.


  1. Friday, December 27

    1. 308:

      1. I did some more heat-stripping on the siding of the #2 end platform. I also removed the springs which hold the side doors open.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Looked at the “Camp Grant”.



  1. Tuesday, December 31 (with Frank)

    1. 308:

      1. I cut out some patterns and started making some more pieces for the floor at the #1 end. After trimming, these were painted with primer by one of the extras, and later installed.

      2. Frank and I removed all of the egg-crate wood installed by IMOTAC from the #2 train door. Frank painted all of the inside surfaces with primer. I made measurements so I can acquire new white oak for rebuilding the door.

      3. Frank worked on various parts, including the door holder springs.

    2. Misc.:

      1. Looked at the 201, which had just arrived.



No comments: