Friday, June 30, 2023

Big Hook at Night

 Since we've been seeing dramatic progress on the 6363 lately, blog reader Joe Zdenek sent us a dramatic picture of the 6359 at work:


He writes:

Seeing your picture of the big hook being refurbished prompted me to find this old slide. It's 6359 cleaning up a wreck in 1972 (I THINK). A loaded Wisconsin Power coal train was leaving Proviso Yard and hit the ground before it got to the Elmhurst station. I have other pics of that night but only one of the hook.
I remember it was quite the feat to move the cars. I watched for over an hour as they moved one car to a panel track, only to have the rails roll over and put the car back on the ground.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul Hough says the Cal Ave 6363 was smaller than the Proviso big hooks which were 250 ton as well as the Clinton hook 6363 was150 ton

Anonymous said...

Correction 160 ton