Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Free Dictionary With Purchase


Here's an unusual car card in SEPTA 55: an advertisement for a 20-volume encyclopedia for $19.90, plus a free Merriam-Webster Dictionary if you act now. The thing that makes it interesting is the three stacks of tear-off mail-in slips, still well stocked. Make sure you call before 3PM or you may be the victim of slow service in shipping your new encyclopedia, which is never a good thing. And you know it's a good set because it doesn't tell you the brand name anywhere.

(Randy adds: By the way, this really makes me feel old.  I can easily remember when having a good encyclopedia was essential for being a well-educated person.  There was no other convenient way to find detailed information on a host of subjects.  And as a boy, I even had my own Britannica Jr., which is still in my library.  I keep it just to check up on what people were thinking back in the late 1940's!)

1 comment:

Ted Miles said...

Randall,
My family had a set of encyclopedias from the A&P stores; I wrote my school reports out of it many times. Our village did not have a public library. Today's young people can not imagine a world before Google and Wikipedia.

Ted Miles, retired but still an IRM member