Monday, June 26, 2023

Final Prep

Frank writes...


Sunday was time for some final preparation work on the 18 to get it ready for the "big show" next Saturday. A huge thank you goes out to Joel, for building a new end window for the car, and to John, for accomplishing the difficult task of cutting the glass for a not-quite-square window with a slight arch at its top.
Joel was able to get the window back into place, which wasn't as easy as it sounds, after which I reinstalled the various trim pieces inside the cab. This window is stationary and it will be no surprise that the new window fit like a glove. Voila!
After that, I went around the car doing some light cleaning and washing windows. Zach and I reinstalled the whistle, which we dutifully (and successfully) tested after pumping up the air. Finally, after dinner, I put a fresh coat of cream paint on the new window and on the corner post. The photo above was taken without the benefit of natural light, but you get the idea. Plus, you'll see this for yourself in person next Saturday, since you and I both know you'd never miss the 70 for 70 Trolley Pageant!
Of course there were plenty of other things happening, including quite a bit of switching. I noticed that the car shop guys had been switching Yard 5, which included a slight change to the lineup at the west end of the yard. Now, I wonder why that would be.

2 comments:

Matt Maloy said...

I'm sensing the AEM-7 was switched out so that it could at least be on display for the pageant.. Alternatively, have it towed by something during the parade like the Commonwealth Edison steeple cab.

Any chance the C&LE box motor will at least be pulled out and put on display during "70 for 70? I think I already know the answer to this question, but I thought I would ask anyways.

-Matt Maloy

Frank Hicks said...

No, there are no plans to pull the C&LE box motor outside. It's not in very good cosmetic shape.