Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Headlights On For Safety

Yesterday I finished outlining the lettering on the 36, as seen here.

 And installed the final new third rail beam.

And did we mention that for the first time, on Labor Day weekend we're going to try running evening trains for the public?  You'll want to be there!  Saturday evening will be the North Shore cars, and Sunday evening will be the CA&E wood cars.   So, planning ahead, I tested the headlight circuits on all four cars, and three headlights currently available.  Everything worked fine.  This is something we hadn't gotten around to during regular inspection, since they're generally not needed.   To save time and hassle when changing ends, we plan to have a headlight on each end, and two markers at each end which can be easily changed from green to red.

Do NOT look into this headlight when it's on "bright"! 

This might be a good time to remind everybody that you CANNOT interchange North Shore and CA&E headlights.  They may look similar, but the wiring of the headlights themselves and the car wiring are completely different between the two companies.  (CA&E wood and steel cars use the same headlights, however.)

And Tim was working on the complicated sign/marker light assemblies for the 24.

Also, I ordered the mica tubes and washers for the GE grid boxes.  There's a lead time of 2-3 weeks, so we'll be waiting impatiently for our new parts to arrive.

No comments: