Friday, April 29, 2016

Don't Blow a Fuse

Please don't blow a fuse if these first two pictures look like the same old stuff.  Every car on the CA&E had a little box just for saving the scrap copper when fuses blew, as they must have quite often.  You would really have to crank up the controller to blow a fuse, I would think.  We basically never blow fuses here at the Museum, although partly that's because of our nice modern substation, which will drop out before a 700A bus fuse could possibly melt, as well as careful motormen.  Anyway, this little tin box can be taken home for relettering.

Meanwhile, in the shop, Rich is repainting these beams that support the motors on the Electroliner.  Work on the Liner of various sorts is progressing steadily.

 And then the usual Michigan crew were at work on the 28.   You can see the gaps where the bad section of the side sill has been cut, and there is also a chalk line on the siding, towards the upper left of the picture.

Our new Museum president does not allow vast power, prestige, and authority to go to his head.  He is still eager to pick up a grinder and cut on the dotted line.

It took all day, but after a couple of hours of surface prep, followed by painting, all surfaces in the vestibule now have at least the first coat of finish blue, and many have two.  More painting will still be required, I'm afraid, but it looks nice.  If I may say so myself.

Well, after all that work, it was time for a change of pace.  Because I've been putting so much time and effort into this car, I decided to paint my initial over one of the doors.   That seems only fair.   I sure hope nobody blows a fuse.

We can use volunteer help of all sorts, especially now that inspection season is in full swing.  You can learn a lot by volunteering, and we can find tasks that are suited to each person's abilities and interests.

Remember:  At Union, we put U first.


Anonymous said...

Randal, when the CA&E repainted a car, I wonder how long it took per car? I would guess that they didn't take as much care for surface prep as you have on this lovely restoration.

C Kronenwetter
IRM member

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks to the paint shop records, I can answer that question exactly. It depended upon how much work was being done, of course. When the 36 was repainted from blue to red in 1950, the interior was only touched up, and it took nine days from start to finish. When the car was rebuilt in 1946, the process was halted to finish up 315, and the interior was completely repainted, so it took six weeks. A period of about a month is typical for a complete repainting inside and out. I believe there was no surface prep in the vestibules when the car was repainted, or the previous lettering wouldn't be in such good shape; they just masked and sprayed. For the exterior, the paint would be sanded down by hand, up until the end. They would hire local high school kids to stand there and sand down the sides with sanding blocks. Nice way to spend your summer vacation.

Joel Ahrendt said...

Actually, I want to make sure we do save our fuses. There are some we can't get easily anymore, but know of a way to remake them. We just need to save the ends, so I am going to be putting a spot in the shop to save fuses when they go bad.