Car 2846 stands at the wye at Forsythe & Exchange in East Chicago on May 18, 1923. It wears the early version of CSL red with the cream letterboard. CSL photo, Krambles-Peterson Archive.
The Hammond Whiting & East Chicago
Streetcar Service Across the State Line
Changes in Ownership
Work Service and Retirement
Appendix A: Original Specifications
Appendix B: In-Service Modifications
Appendix C: HW&EC Roster
A map showing the extent of the joint streetcar operation across the state line. Roy G. Benedict map courtesy First & Fastest/Shore Line Interurban Historical Society.
SCCR Interstate 337 stands at the 63rd Street terminal soon after construction in this period postcard view.
Car 342 sits in front of the Ewing Avenue barn in this image from a 1908 valuation report. The gates on the open rear platform can be clearly seen.
And a final distinguishing feature was the railroad roof that the series sported, rather than the deck roofs common among street railway equipment. These are thought to have been the only streetcars to run in revenue passenger service on the Chicago city system with railroad roofs.
Floor plan of the "Interstates" in their original configuration from a 1908 valuation report.
The blind side of car 338 (later 2852) is shown in South Chicago when brand new. Note drop rear - but not front - platform, solid window frames in the convertible section, and water heater on front platform. The emblem resembles a flower with "Red Lines" in the center. Joe Diaz photo.
End view of car 2853 in 1915. Note the hang-on headlight. CSL Photo, Illinois Railway Museum collection.
The oddball of the Interstate fleet was car 2850, rebuilt with a deck roof following an accident. It is pictured on May 18, 1923 at the East Chicago wye on Forsythe. CSL photo, author's collection.
Car 2846 is shown in one of the CSL's car barns; the year and location is unknown but this is most likely during the 1930s. Author's collection.
The dark green paint job means car 2846 is now officially in work service in this 1943 photo. It still wears its window guards on the outside and hasn't yet received a CTA AA-series number. Robert Gibson photo from the Don Ross Collection.
Car 2846 is in its new home in Downers Grove in this 1959 photo. Behind it is "Matchbox" 1374. The ERHS barn is starting to go up around the small collection. Glenn Anderson photo from the Krambles-Peterson Archive.
May 2016 saw car 2846 outside of Barn 7 for the first time in some 15 years. It was relocated to Barn 13 at the south end of the property. Photo by the author.
One of the steel HW&EC Brills, shown at the East Chicago wye in service in May 1923. First & Fastest/Shore Line Interurban Historical Society.