We have several minor projects to report on today. First, in order to help out the flip side, I dug out the cans of paint for finish painting on the 150. The orange is getting low, but the other two cans should have plenty.
The most important result was installing the patch on the roof of the 460. I had cut out and bent some pieces of Masonite at home to fill the gap, as seen here.
And it was then bandaged up with three layers of canvas to get an even surface. The outer layer is set on black caulk and tacked down. Painting the canvas will start next time, as we need the caulk to set up first. This should provide a nice watertight seal over the hole. Eventually, the 460 will need a complete roof job, and this patch can then be fixed up more permanently.
Part of the healing process is not letting yourself get bent out of shape. The copper drip rail got smashed in the middle when the trolley pole punched a hole in the roof. This is what it looked like after removal.
After some not-very-expert body and fender work today, it's closer to its original shape. Because it's designed to fit the compound curves of the roof, it was hard to get it to pose for a picture. Now I need somebody to solder it back together for me. Final fitting will probably have to be done in place.
And I finished correcting the lettering on the 308 on both sides.
I also worked on the light circuits in the 308. Two circuits are not now working, but I determined the problem with at least one of them. I just need to bring out some crimp connectors I have at home. The other circuit may need more work. I also spent some time looking over the circuit diagrams and test results from sequencing the control on the Charles City engine with Pete Galayda.
But let's see what other people were doing on this hot and muggy day.
It's a rough job, but somebody's got to do it. B&G veteran Al Choutka waters the shrubbery.
Ed Oslowski was working on the Electroliner, but I didn't want to disturb him. John Faulhaber was working on the Lake Shore Electric trailer; the trucks have been painted green, but somehow I failed to take a picture of them.
Our old friend Jack Biesterfeld continues working on the B&M diner. He's replacing exterior siding on the wall side of the car, and it will look great.
He's also stripping the many layers of paint from the east vestibule.
Jamie and Jeron were switchng:
Here's an interesting juxtaposition: "South Side Rapid Transit" and Burlington Northern.
And here's another: under the CA&E sign, an open-platform L car signed for Ravenswood.
I'm pretty sure we have never told you that IRM was going to start collecting Air Force bombers. The B-71 will be arriving at Union soon, and you will be amazed when you see it. It's unlike anything else in the collection. As soon as Nick sends me the pictures he promised, we'll have a post about it.