Our friend Laddie Vitek has sent us some photos taken recently at the Mad River & NKP Railroad Museum in Bellevue, Ohio. All photos below are copyright Laddie Vitek - do not copy without permission.
These show a car that is normally off-limits to the public: Lake Shore Electric 46, a wooden freight motor built in 1906 by Niles as interurban coach 152. As built this car was identical to our own LSE 150 but in 1929 the railway rebuilt it as a freight motor.
Car 46 is one of no fewer than five LSE cars from the 140/150 series to survive including 141 (freight motor 42), 149, 150, 151, and 152 (freight motor 46). As built all were nearly identical but two ended up being rebuilt for freight service and a third, car 149, was lengthened by the railroad. Besides car 46 and our own 150 the other three are all at the Northern Ohio Railway Museum.