Gregg Wolfersheim has sent us another illustrated report of progress on the UP doodlebug:
Last month I stopped to see an old retired friend from the railroad I work for. He does woodwork for a hobby. With a little charm, I talked him into making a replacement window for the UP doodlebug. We found a piece of cedar that would work, and the next day he had it all done. Thanks, Chuck! Here is a comparison picture of the rotted original, and the new one lying on the shop floor.
The new window already primed and now getting a coat of Armour Yellow.
The new window installed. This is on the left side of the car, above the air compressor.
At the same time, the front window was redone and installed. This is a lower sash on the front of the car. An upper sash can be dropped down for better ventilation. Unfortunately, it is missing. So, I'm hoping that Chuck can make another sash for me.
Here is an outside view of the lower sash, with the new left side window in the background.