Friday, July 22, 2022

Didcot Album Part 1

Well, some of you asked for it.  Here's just a start of my photographs from Didcot in 1977.  I generally don't have a lot more information.  But if you've been there any time in the last 45 years you might recognize some of the rolling stock and locations.

THESE IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHTED BY HICKS CAR WORKS.  NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT EVERY PERSON WHO REPRODUCES THEM WITHOUT PERMISSION RENDERS HIMSELF LIABLE TO A PENALTY OF FORTY SHILLINGS OR IN DEFAULT OF PAYMENT TO ONE MONTH'S IMPRISONMENT FOR EVERY SUCH OFFENCE.

       BY ORDER






















4 comments:

Ted Miles said...

Ditcot is one of two or maybe more museums devoted to the Great Western Railway of Isaboard Kingdom Brunel; a very talented Victorian Engineer. He built railways, tunnels, bridges and when he ran out of land, he built three ships.

Ditcot not only preserves railway locomotives but builds extinct ones from scratch!

I will now return you to our regular IRM programing.

Ted Miles, IRM Member

Steve D. said...

In the extremely unlikely possibility that I reproduce an image of yours from this weblog post (although I do follow a handful of British beer bloggers), I pledge to pay for it by buying you a pint (at least 16-oz.) of an Extra Special Bitter beer at a venue in metropolitan Chicago. [Warning: This could be as far afield as Flossmoor, Geneva, or Woodstock.]

Randall Hicks said...

Ted: What you say is very true, although the name is Isambard. I have no idea where that came from. I've visited the reproduction of his pioneering steamship Great Eastern in Bristol, which is very impressive. I'm afraid men like that aren't being made anymore.

Steve: Sounds good to me. Reproduce away, as long as I get credit. Flossmoor is a little iffy, but Geneva or Woodstock would be great!

Zach said...

The 14th photo, an unidentified location on the Southern Region of British Railways (with the 3rd rail), appears to be of Canterbury West Railway Station, viewed from St. Dunstans Street.

-Zach