Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Sunday Report

Frank writes...


There wasn't a whole lot to report from Sunday, though I was certainly busy. I was running CSL 1374, the "Matchbox," all day for the last day of the Day Out With Thomas event, with Riley as my conductor. Everything seemed to go very smoothly and the crowd, as always, was very impressive. We ended up making about 30 loops around the car line. I didn't get a chance to snap a photo until late in the afternoon when things were dying down.
The other cars on the streetcar line were the 144, 3142, and 4391. It's always neat to see all four of our operating Chicago streetcars in service at the same time! After dinner I took a look at the tack molding on the 460, since Saturday night the "second shift" guys spent a while adding more liquid epoxy and wood filler to the tack molding to make it a bit more solid. A huge THANK YOU to everyone who worked on this!! Unfortunately I failed to get a photo, but hopefully my father will rectify that. I also spent some time stripping paint off of another window for the 18.
And speaking of dinner, Zach brought along an O scale locomotive that he built from a brass kit and hand-painted, even painting all the striping by hand using One-Shot. It's GWR 4019 Knight Templar, a Star-class 4-6-0 built at Swindon in 1908. What a beauty! It reminds me of Didcot...

3 comments:

Ted Miles said...

Franks, Funny you should mention Ditcot! It is my favorite standard gauge museum in the British Isles, They havee brought back two classes of extinct great western locomotives, to say nothing of their steam powered Rail Motor. She is a steam Interurban that was used on branch lines. They built the entire power truck!

Ted Miles, IRM Member

Randall Hicks said...

Well, Ted, you have of course come to the right place. Didcot is also my favorite British museum, and I visited it several times in 1977 whilst doing some of my graduate work at Oxford. Perhaps I can scan in some of my slides from that time, if there's any popular demand. Didcot has obviously made great progress since that time, as has IRM.

Matt Maloy said...

I would love to see your old slides from Didcot, Randall. Didcot is on my list of places that I need to visit if/when ever I get over to the UK, as well as Bristol and London since I have friends who live in Bristol and London.

-Matt Maloy