Friday, December 1, 2023

Postcard from Arizona

 Time for another trip report, now that I'm back from Arizona.

We visited the Paradise and Pacific again in McCormick-Stillman Park with my three grandsons, ages 1, 3, and 5.  They were running two trains this time, which I hadn't experienced before, both steam.  It works out well: it takes almost as long to unload and load the passengers from these long consists as it does to go around the two loops, so one train pulls into the station soon after the other one leaves.  And on the day after Thanksgiving, every train was nearly full.


This smaller 2-6-0 is on display.  I don't remember seeing it before, but I'm no park train expert.




The Santa Fe line through Prescott, high in the mountains, is long gone, but this magnificent pin-connected truss remains, and is preserved as part of a walking path.





Finally, while in Arizona I acquired a new skill in case I need to find work: picking cotton!


Actually, I guess I can see why the whole process is entirely mechanized.  But that's off-topic.

No comments: