Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Busy Tuesday

 Tuesday was another busy day in the shop.

It was too cold to do more roof painting - Pete says it needs to be at least 50F.  And I don't want to disregard his advice, it might void my warranty.  But at least I brought out and installed a movable little ledge I can use to hold the paint tray, so that I don't drip paint down the side of the car.  Dripping a little onto the canvas won't hurt anything.


However, I did finish tacking down the canvas at the east end.  I then did some more ironing at both ends.  Also, I boxed up the rest of the clamps and ratchets and stored them away for the next roof project, which I hope will not be too far in the future.



And I put primer on two running boards for the 453.  Of course, other people were busy.

Frank Kehoe continued working on the motor truck for the 1754, but I missed getting a picture of him at work.   Sorry!

Here's Steve Sanderson painting some parts for the Electroliner kitchen in the paint booth:


Gerry was working on the steel structure of the 306 again; they're getting close to installing the wooden window frames.



And John was painting the frames; these are the outsides.


Buzz continued making window frames for a Pullman car.


Here Tim is running wood through the shaper, making more parts for the 50th Ave. station.


He's also making roof stock for a line of O scale Met car kits which will be available soon at your favorite local hobby shop.  Ask for them by name!



Finally, here's some trivia for you.  A friend of ours asked what is the correct identification for the controllers on the St. Louis cars, since the available books don't agree.  And the answer seems to be....




17KC54 A1

This appears on two different controllers I had available: one on the 453 and one from storage.


Now you can impress your friends.

2 comments:

Edward George Halstead said...

Thank you for all your work on the CA&E cars. Never knew applying a new canvas roof would entail so much labor.

I'm trying to track down your comment regarding " a line of O scale Met car kits which will be available soon at your favorite local hobby shop. Ask for them by name!" Where (hobby shop) and what name to ask for?

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks, Ed. But I must apologize for that comment about car kits, that was meant as a joke. It's just that the molding strips Tim happened to be making reminded me of roof stock from a kit. Sorry.