Friday, March 12, 2021

Oil On Canvas

 Painting has started on the roof of the 453, as you'll see.  And of course there were other things going on, which I was too busy to photograph.

John and Gerry were working on the 306, as always.  John was staining and varnishing the new arched window frames, and they look great.  I should have gotten more pictures; there are four short arches, as seen here, plus ten long double arches, all of which were in the shop.  And Gerry continued welding and grinding on the steel structure.


Here's the canvas with a first coat of black.  The lighting in the barn isn't great for photography, but I was able to do the entire top of the car plus most of one side down to the tack molding.  The paint has about the consistency of water, so it can be messy.  I will want to finish all of the bottom edges with a brush, I believe.  I have a thermometer alongside the platform so I can keep an eye on the temperature.


Doing this much of the roof took six gallons of paint, which seems about what we expected.  Following coats should require much less per acre.

I also cut all of the running boards to length, made the lap joints, and drilled the sideways holes for attaching grab irons at each end.  On the 451 I didn't do this beforehand, and had to rig up a system to drill through the boards horizontally.  That worked, but this is much easier.


And they're ready for brown primer.


So that was another fun, rewarding day.

No comments: