Friday, April 1, 2022

No Fooling

To begin with, I decided to remove my earlier post from today, although it was entirely in jest, because we wouldn't want anybody to get the idea that we are actually planning to build shop facilities, when in fact there are only storage buildings in the works.  I hope that clears it up.

Back in the realm of facts, I was working on the 460 again.  The tack molding on the north side of the car has been completely cleaned off, and the drip rail was removed.




And most of the remaining canvas was removed and carted off to the dumpster.


Then I did some more work on the east end:


And finally, started removing the machine screws that hold up the ceiling plate in the #2 vestibule.  This went even faster than last time, because I already had the tools and lighting available.



So the plate is now held up by just a few screws, instead of a hundred.  Just don't stand under it during the big switch move!  I'll eventually need some help to get it down safely.



Tim was hard at work in the morning making large amounts of tack moldings and other wood parts for the 1808.  Sorry I didn't get a picture of him actually at work.


And these are the new body posts, now glued together:


Finally, the Track Dept. guys are rebuilding the switch to the turntable tracks, which blocks off South Depot St. and requires a detour around Barn 9.  Just like downtown!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

If the steam guys can dream of a roundhouse, why shouldn't the electric car guys also dream big?
C kronenwetter

Randall Hicks said...

That may be possible in the future, but for right now I'm told we just have permission for a storage building.