Friday, April 22, 2022

Thursday Report

 Another productive day in the car shop produces these pictures, but of course there were other things I missed.

I almost finished attaching plastic drip shields around the 460, except at the west end where some of the tack molding will have to be replaced.


As seen here, it's too badly rotted out to save.  But a new piece or two can be easily fabricated.  I plan to make a flat piece, then soak it and bend it on one of the lobster trap forms.  Now that I know how to use them, they may come in handy for other projects too.


And some more sweeping on top of the roof:


I spent some time installing round-head screws as part of my patented process for eventually placing the saddles.  With the canvas removed, it's obvious where the saddles should go.  I insert a screw for each one exactly 2 3/4" to the north of the center line (the width of one board).  Once the canvas is installed and stretched, we will have a row of little bumps where the screws are.  Each saddle will have a small indentation on the bottom surface, which can easily be fitted over the screws to align the saddle exactly.


In the above picture, the screw is offset to the right.  On this car saddles were installed twice, each time slightly to one side or the other.  But this time they will be centered exactly.



The patches for the Trolleyville holes were sanded down, then another layer of epoxy to fill in any holes.  Once this is sanded down, it will be ready for painting.  Of course, first I need to patch up all the tack moldings around the car.






I always knew that Bill Wulfert was a shady character.  Here we see him preparing window shades for the 4412, which came to us in 1972 without them.  Fifty years later it's time to correct that.  These really look nice and will make a significant improvement to the car's interior.



And Gerry continues welding on the 1808:


I guess I failed to get pictures of Tim, Jon, or Andy.  Sorry!

No comments: