Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Tuesday Pictures

It's time for another weekday activity report.  I had lots to do, of course, so I didn't start taking pictures until early afternoon.  As a result, this is mostly a summary of what went on.

On the 460, I continued cleaning up the roof.  I started on the tack molding on the south side, but since nobody had the 600 on in the barn for a change, it seemed like a good day to be working on top.

In order to get at various parts at each end, you need to remove the ceiling panel in the vestibule first.  I was able to do this with the aid of a long stick to hold the panel up as I removed the last screws and various parts, then carefully lifted it down.  This worked out fine at the #2 end.  Here we can see inside the attic.  With John Sheldon's help, I was able to disconnect the piping to the horn, and you can see in the center where the pipe goes, I think.  I also pulled down the roof cable, seen at lower left.


And with more work and some sweeping, most of the roof is a lot cleaner than it used to be.  


All the parts at the #2 end have been removed, including the last ventilator.  That was the most time-consuming part of the process.


At the #1 end I couldn't get the panel down because there's one machine screw I couldn't remove, being blocked by an air pipe directly below it.  A dirty trick, indeed.  I have a hacksaw blade handle at home that I'll bring out next time to take care of that.

And then, while we're up here, let's look at the scenery.  To the west, the 1808 with Tim hard at work installing new letterboards.


And to the east, track 42 extending to the door.  This track basically hasn't been maintained since it was laid about 1972, I think, and beyond where the parts are stored in the distance it hasn't had anything operate over it since about 1983.  But plans are in the works to fix that.


John Sheldon has been making good progress on the roof of the 306, but I never did get any pictures of it.

Tim and Gerry continue on the 1808.


Tim started installing the new letterboards he has made.






Meanwhile in the great outdoors, work continues on rebuilding the switch to the steam leads. The entire switch has been removed and the ground excavated.





2 comments:

Patrick Cunningham, CISM, CDPSE, FAI said...

You might want to check the settings on your camera. Looks like you have tilt/shift turned on. That sets the focus at a very narrow place and everything else is blurry. Cool effect, but maybe not for these pictures.

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks for the suggestion. There's a learning curve with almost everything!