Thursday, April 14, 2022

Windy Thursday

 Winds were blowing today, as they often are.  The drive home was a real treat.  But at least in the barn, it was calm and relatively warm, if a little noisy.  So a lot of good progress was made.

In the morning, I was finally able to remove or retract the remaining two roof cables, as seen below, so that problem is now solved, with some help from Tim.  And I removed more of the canvas and tacks.  As mentioned before, I'll leave this short section in place for now because it's much easier and safer for climbing onto the roof.

Then I resumed cleaning up the tack moldings and finished the south side, and did some work on both ends.  By next week I'll be ready to start epoxying the tack moldings; we need to get some more epoxy because Tim and I will both be needing it soon.




The southwest corner:


The southeast corner:


Tim continues on the 1808, and as usual he has several projects underway at a time.  Here are the posts he recently made, waiting for installation.

But another problem is that some of the piping and conduits underneath the floor of the car are rusted out and need to be replaced.  That's an extremely challenging problem because it's very tight under there, between the floor and the various pipes and the trucks, so it's not much fun.

Here he is squeezing himself into position to continue trying to remove one of the conduits.

The finger points to the one he was then working on.  I think.  I didn't record the actual dialogue.




John Sheldon continues making all the necessary interior parts for the 306.  On the left we see the nice new window shade tracks, and on the right lots of windows.


And have we seen a recent picture of the roof?


Finally, we have a conundrum.  Buzz made these window frames for the Milwaukee Road caboose and painted them, and of course he did a fine job.  Nothing mysterious about that.  But these pictures are not at all what the windows look like in real life.  They're actually a rather orangish peach color.  And I do not know why they appear so yellow.

John and Tim both looked at my phone and its settings and we played around with it for a while, but the images still come out yellow.  So even the experts are stumped.  This is a Samsung Galaxy A03s, if that helps.  I might as well be from another galaxy for all I can figure out about it.


So I guess the moral is: you can't always trust everything you see on this blog.  Who knew?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have LED lighting in the shop?

That can do funny things to some colors.

-Hudson

Randall Hicks said...

The lighting in the shop is all fluorescent. But meanwhile, I think I found how to access the filter settings, which should fix the color response. Of course, now the problem is that the window frames are still in the shop, and I'm at home. So that will have to wait. Stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

Milwaukee "Caboose Yellow" is a bit brighter than the Coach colors but this is a white primer mixed with that. Stay tuned for the final coat.
Buzz

Will K said...

Finally, a reason to dig out the old SLR camera!