Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Mystery Photo

You never know what you might find on internet auction sites.  I'm always looking for new CA&E pictures, of course, and I was stumped by a recent listing for three slides of the CA&E.  The lower two are obvious enough, but the one on top certainly isn't CA&E, and what in the world is that bizarre structure over the tracks?   Just out of idle curiosity, I'd like to know what where that picture was taken.


Reveal the secret, and win fame and fortune!  Or at least fame....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Swing bridge with a control house on top?

C Kronenwetter

M E Moyano said...

Top picture is of a South Shore Line train over the Calumet River. I can't tell you the day nor the direction of the train; howevere I suspect westbound.

Randall Hicks said...

That shows you how little I know about the history of the South Shore, I guess. I'm finding it hard to imagine how they made catenary work through a swing bridge. Drop the pans and coast?