Sunday, September 18, 2022

Showing Off Showcase

Saturday of Showcase Weekend (the festival previously known as Member's Day) went off spectacularly, as usual.  The weather was just about perfect.  Frank and I spent the morning and early afternoon running the Veracruz open car, and that's the one thing I didn't get any pictures of.  But for most of the rest, here's a brief selection of views.  As always, there's no substitute for being there in person.

In the morning, the 1630 was pulling a demonstration freight train, a fairly rare sight:
And in the trolley bus department, Richard Schauer brought out the 9631 for a dedication ceremony.  You'll remember for a couple of months we were posting frequent updates on its repainting.  The wait was worth it:

North Shore 160 was showing off its newly-restored interior.  Here it is parked at 50th Avenue.

Pete Galayda is justly proud of his accomplishments.
Two CTA singles were in shuttle service, but switched off with the North Shore cars so that Greg Ceurvorst could get a main-line trip.  The Skokie Swift 30 operates relatively seldom.
And here comes the Shay, pulling the caboose train.
The Zephyr was running all day, and into the night.
The 1808 shows off its newly repainted end at Barn 4.
And friendly Mike Hudoc takes a well-deserved break from his labors to talk to passers-by about the project and explain the joys of volunteering!
Meanwhile, back behind Barn 4, the Track Dept. were hard at work removing track 42 east.  The rails were salvaged, but here the tie crane is picking the splinters of what was left of the ties.  Those guys really work hard and efficiently.
Next, we see the 1630 again, now pulling the heavyweight train:
The Milwaukee Road dynamometer:
The Burlington RPO was busy with mail drops and pickups all day.   Watch out for flying mailbags!
And at the end of the train, three special cars either newly or nearly restored: the Dover Strait:
the Villa Real:
and the private car Pawnee:
All of which, of course, were open for the public to go through and admire.

I got a chance to meet some old friends who were visiting, such as Randy and Betty Anderson, Larry Goerges, Ken Jamin, and several others, and met some blog readers.  And caught up on the news.  That's always one of the most enjoyable parts of the day.
I was unable to stay around for very long after dark, but some new equipment was brought out:

And there were several other things I didn't get a chance to photograph.  For instance, the Electroliner was open for tours in Barn 7.  We hope to be able to feature it soon.  So don't go away!

Frank adds...

I had to leave mid-afternoon, just after we put the open car back in the barn, but I did snap a handful of photos.
Here's the 19 in the barn, looking pretty much the same as it has for a while. It was pointed out to me that this was an appropriate car to have out, given that Saturday was only one day after Mexican Independence Day.
The rebuilt truck for the 1754 was on the pit; I didn't get a chance to chat with any of the car shop regulars so I'm not certain what the latest on this project might be.
And here's a shot of Mark, Marcus, and one other Track Department volunteer working on track 42 cleanup. As always, a huge THANK YOU to the unsung volunteers who do the behind-the-scenes work like this to help keep the trains running!

4 comments:

James Fitzgerald said...

Was able to make it but only a few hours. Was able to ride on the north shore 160 and 9631 both great jobs. My first time to the showcase weekend but hopefully next year I'll stay the entire day.

Thank you to all involved

Will Knogl said...

For a limited time only! Watch our reenactment of the abandonment of an interurban line behind barn 4!

Matt Maloy said...

I just want to say, with full sincerity, that I feel like the interurban is one of the most important parts of this museum, and I will never not be impressed by all your hard work. Here's to your work making these cars last for many more decades.

-Matt Maloy

Anonymous said...

Hello this is Michael Hudoc…I just want to say I had a BLAST!!!! I was drumming up possible volunteering candidates but I was also trying to get people to donate. With a Chicago radio announcer background I can talk the talk. Many could see the passion in my eyes and the articulation and vitality in my voice about the museum in what we’re doing:)))) I’m a very charismatic person….and being so with my efforts…Tim who is my leader in barn four gave me gold star to wear on my badge!!! Ahhhhhhhhh:)))