Monday, September 12, 2022

Monday Milestones

 Today we have a couple of interesting marks of progress to report.

Track 42 Cleared Out

Track 42 behind the barn is now clear of stored cars for the first time since about 1982, and most of the storage cars that were there hadn't moved for about that long.  Many Car Dept. people (not I) helped with this challenging move yesterday.  We might also point out that the track directly behind the barn hasn't been used since that time either.  It must be down there somewhere.




160 Interior Restoration Finished

The complete restoration of the 160's interior, including the vestibules, is now complete.   And the car will be in operation for Member's Day for you to ride.  (That's just five days away!)  Pete Galayda started on this project four years ago, with help from the late John Faulhaber and others, and is justly proud of all the hard work.  It looks beautiful.




Below, Fritz was busy shampooing the plush seats in the main compartment.


And here he shows off the amazing amount of dirt that was collected from just a few of the seat cushions.  We have no idea when, or if, they were cleaned last.






Meanwhile, other projects continued.  Tim was doing woodwork for the 1808.


I continued tacking down the 460's canvas.  Both sides are nearly finished.






And finally,

I'm not naming names, but I have noticed that several of my fellow volunteers are wearing badly wrinkled work clothes.   Luckily, I can fix that.  I have the tools, and I have the talent.

CLOTHES CLEANED AND PRESSED WHILE U WAIT


But while I'm waiting for business to start pouring in, I might as well put my iron to good use, and try to iron out some of the wrinkles in the canvas.  It doesn't always work quite as well as we'd like, but it's an improvement.  And a welcome break from driving tacks.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello it’s Michael Hudoc…. THAT IS AMAZING WORK ON THE 160:))) Way to go volunteer’s:)))))