Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Windy City West

If IRM were a sailing ship, we would be making rapid progress on our journey home from Cathay. As it is, however, the recent strong winds made me worry about the tarps again, so I checked on the 321. It's basically OK; part of the east end had come loose, so I attached another clamp and tightened things up. No harm has been done.


Most of the rest of my time was spent sanding down two more 319 windows, as seen here. Only one to go. But it gets pretty tiresome, I must admit. I also wire-wheeled all the old paint off the wrecking tools that will be installed in the 319.

Every car seems to have had a different arrangement of wrecking tool box. Fortunately, the 308's was never touched, so I'm using it as a guide to what things should look like. The tools will be painted with the basic interior wall color.

I also looked at the interior of the 277 to remind myself of its condition. The Illinois Terminal traction meet will be held at IRM next April, and we want the 277 and 518 to be as ready as we can make them. We need to decide what can be done by then. Expert help will be welcome.


And in switching news from last Sunday, the Rio open car has been moved into Barn 8. Here it is, as viewed from the platform of the 234. Keeping a tarp on it was harder than we thought, so with some shuffling, we are able to make better use of the available indoor storage space. This is a restoration project for the future, but it's good to have nonetheless.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume 'better use of space' means something previously in the barn got evicted. 'Whose ox got gored'?

Bob Kutella

Randall Hicks said...

I don't think so. I didn't go through the other barns to see what was where, exactly, but in 8 there was some extra space on a couple of tracks that could be used. The IT cars were moved 10' west or so so the 141 trucks which had been on 82 went to 81, then the open car, which isn't very long, went behind the 1808, plus a locomotive in front of the 409 on 82. So the 63 is either in 6 or 7. I can't remember everything!

David Wilkins said...

I forgot to check when we ran the cars on Museum Showcase Weekend, but does the 319 still have it's First Aid Kit.?

Randall Hicks said...

No, it doesn't. I'll have to make one, as I did for the 308.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if IRM could find space for another car indoors with some more creative space juggling. We at PTM use a "Virtual carbarn space juggler" program that can be set up in a few hours using drafting software and, of course, knowing the lngths of barn tracks and cars. Try it, you may be surprised at what you learn.

Artschwartz

Randall Hicks said...

Well, that's an interesting idea, Art. I believe Rod and the others will probably see your comment here. But I think we already put a lot of mental effort into coming up with new arrangements. There are lots of constraints, and the need for certain pieces to be accessible for restoration work of various types is constantly changing. And there's a limit to how many cars you can switch out in a day. So I believe that at present we're probably close to the optimum feasible arrangement.

Randy