Thursday, October 21, 2010

319 Report

Yesterday was mostly window work. Four repainted windows were ready for installation. First, I removed the last four unrestored windows from the car, and moved the four spares from the 318 into their slots. Then the hardware was attached to the new windows, and they were installed along with the repainted window shade tracks. One nice thing about the car is that all the window shades are in good condition. You will notice that the window on the right has different hardware than the rest. I can only think this must have been done by the railroad near the end of service. In any case, I have no choice but to leave it as is.

I also finished installing the new globe fixture for the ceiling light and put the bulbs back in. It was later repainted with a first finish coat. The only thing left is to put the globe in, but I'll want a helper for this job. I installed the first globe by myself and nearly dropped it in the process. That was frightening!


Later in the day I sanded down one of the last four windows. Also, Gerry is in the process of moving spare trucks out in the material yard, so I went out and marked the 318 truck for him, since we'll want that available as a shop truck.

And it was a beautiful fall day again.

3 comments:

David Wilkins said...

What ever became of the effort to cast window pulls for the car?

David Church said...

Maybe not the place but what has become of the efforts to restore CA&E 451? Right after I sent in money, the blogs and reports dried up..

BTW your efforts on these cars is simply outstanding. I cannot believe what I saw when I was there. I loved the rides we took on these cars. Night time was extra special. Each car is so different, and unique. What treasures to have.

Randall Hicks said...

David W: The foundry seems to have lost interest in us. I keep meaning to talk to Frank S. about hounding them into giving us a quote.

David C: The 451 is still over in Barn 2, and I frankly don't know exactly where that project is. I believe the canvas job has been completed, but the car hasn't been painted yet. I can assure you that it will be completed to everyone's satisfaction. The cars that have been restored so far were done much faster than we usually work. Thanks for the comments!