Monday, September 19, 2016

Saturday Photos From Chuck Amstein

Chuck Amstein sends in his photos from Saturday.  As always, these are copyright by the photographer and may not be reproduced without permission, etc.   Thanks, Chuck!
Captions are my own.



That's me and Jack Biesterfeld talking to Frank.   Jack did much of the work on restoring the interior of the 308 many years ago.




Passengers on the first trip of the 24.


One of the first trips around the carline with the restored 972.   Joel is the motorman.






That's Phil Hehn on the right.









6 comments:

Art said...

Frank looks like he's proud of the work he, his father, and others have done with the CA&E cars and that he's very happy to be sitting at the throttle. And he sure should be.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these excellent photos.

Seeing photos of the 972 is a nice surprise. Aside from new wheels, what else was done to it?

Thanks for everything you do.

Randall Hicks said...

Just about everything was done to it. It's been an active project for at least the last twenty years. The bolsters and underframe had to be reinforced, the trucks were rebuilt, the motors were rebuilt, the seats were reupholstered, the interior and exterior were completely repainted and relettered, and what am I missing? I don't remember that it ever got a new roof, but that's about it.

Anonymous said...

I patched and tarred the roof on March 16, 1974. The 972 has lived inside since that time. I'm not aware of any other work on the roof since that time. Bill Wulfert

Randall Hicks said...

Thanks, Bill, that's excellent. That's before I joined the Museum. I would just like to know how you can remember the exact date!

Anonymous said...

I kept a small calendar book with LOTS of details on what I did and where I went. I also used it for work, as at that time I had to keep tract of my overtime hours. It has come in very useful for details on IRM history. Bill Wulfert